Friday, March 16, 2012

Book Review: Book of Shadows

Book: Book of Shadows (Wicca #1)
Author: Cate Tiernan
Genre: Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy (YA)
Rating: 2/5
Page Count: 176 (Paperback)
Favorite character: I guess, Morgan. None of them really stuck out enough for me to pick a favorite.

Plot: (From Goodreads)
Morgan and her best friend, Bree, are introduced to Wicca when a gorgeous senior named Cal invites them to join his new coven. Morgan falls for Cal immediately and discovers that she has strong, inexplicable powers.

Review:

It was okay, I mean, it entertained me during the short time it took me to read the book, but it just annoyed me at the end. Maybe because pretty much everything in this book I've read before, except for the fact that they're modern witches practicing Wicca. Wicca is an interesting religion that a lot of people don't take as for what it is, thinking they're worshipping the devil or something, so I'm always interested to see how it's portrayed in the book. And there are many places this could of gone, but it was too short.

At the end, the last scene, I felt that it should of been the climax of the book. And I'm all for cheesy things, I love cheesy things, this was not cheesy. It was just overused. That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it, though, it wasn't word shaking or anything, but it held my attention. I may even read more books in the series, but I won't be reading all of them, there is a lot.

Overall, it was okay. "Okay" and "interesting" seem to be the only adjective that come to mind for this book, it wasn't bad, but it just wasn't great. So if you like witch-y stuff and don't mind fainting and some awkward scenes that just seem weird or out of place, then you might find it entertaining, too. The mythology of the witches is interesting and I'd like to learn more about it, but it's just one of the redeeming qualities I found.

I don't enjoy posting reviews when I didn't like the book, I want to like books I read, I want to love them, but I'm going to try and continue this series, so I thought I'd get my thoughts out and organized about this one. Maybe the rest in the series get better, here's to hoping. Have you read this book or series? Did you love it? Think it was okay? Or even hate it? I'm curious. (It has an overall ratings on Goodreads of about 4/5 stars, so I want to know why people liked it so much.)

No comments:

Post a Comment