Sunday, May 4, 2014

Liebster Award!

Okay, I'd never heard about this until I got a comment from Aimee telling me she'd nominated me for it. It kind of reminds me of a tag video on YouTube, tagging someone so they do certain things and because you like them or something. So first - go check out Aimee's blog, because she's awesome and lovely!

Also I have such anxiety that I find it hard leaving comments on blogs, even though that's my favorite thing to get on my own, and I'm trying to get over that and just comment. This is, apparently, going to help with that. (Also I know book bloggers are nice and awesome as hell, but anxiety is never full of sense).

This award is usually given to those who have less than 300 followers(I googled around, it seemed this started in 2010 and was originally under 3,000 followers, but I think 300 is better). You're suppose to give 11 facts about yourself and then answer 11 questions that the person that 'nominated' you asked, and then you nominate more people. I think listing the rules will be easier, but I wanted to try and explain it a bit first myself.

The Rules:

  •  List 11 facts about yourself. 
  • Answer the 11 questions asked by whoever nominated you. 
  • Ask 11 new questions to 9 bloggers with less than 300 followers. 
  • You cannot re-nominate the blog that nominated you. 
  • Go to their blog and tell them that they have been nominated!
11 Facts about me:
  • We'll start boring: I'm mainly Irish, French, and French Canadian and I have a lot of relatives in Ireland who I am related to in ways I couldn't explain to you. There's a Cassidy Clan, I went to a reunion in 2005, it was so cool and weird and I don't remember much of it (I was 11 at the time, I think).
  • I am an only child and my birthday is on the 22nd of June, my mom's the 24th. 
  • My parents separated when I was in kindergarten (5? I think?) and filed for divorce and blah, blah. I live mainly with my mom and I always have. I see my dad, but not as much as when I was younger, for various reasons.
  • I love conventions of things I love. BEA, LeakyCon, VidCon - love them. LeakyCon is normally full of tears and feelings and friends (and wizard rock), and VidCon is mostly just like friends I haven't seen in a year and random YouTubers I know, and BEA is books and the community and friends I don't see a lot.
  • Most random fact: I played basketball until fifth grade when I started having such bad knee problems that I was in crutches. It's a complicated name I can't spell, but it's caused me knee problems ever since.
  • I've dyed my hair for some many years, I only know my hair color by my roots
  • I have started active reading again, which is why I started adding 'favorite quotes' to the end of my reviews (I don't know if the first one I did this on has even gone up yet).
  • I vlogged on YouTube is abut the '07--09 era, it's a little blurry, but none of those videos are still up anymore and will never see the light of day again. But I do want to get back into it.
  • I don't feel guilt, at least I try not to, over the amount of books I own that I haven't read. It's my life library, books I want to read throughout my life, and I'm never going o really get my TBR down probably because books keep coming out.
  • I am still very attached to TV series that ended years ago and will rewatch the episodes/seasons when I get nostalgic or to cheer me up. Examples: Stargate SG-1 (and Atlantis, but more so SG), Firefly (newish addition), Charmed, Eureka, Leverage, Buffy, Angel, Dollhouse, and probably more.
  • (It has taken me so long to figure out these facts, I'm writing them after I answered the questions below so I didn't repeat myself). I am weirdly obsessed with science. It kind of comes and goes, but I really love non-fiction books about physics. They normally take me ages to read, non-fiction about physics is a tad dry normally, but it's just so interesting. Also history, mostly ancient, I just kind of love it.


Aimee's Questions:
How do you feel about e-books?
I really like them. I don't read them primarily, I really love physical books and the screen messes with my eyes if I try to read on my Kindle too much. But they're perfect for traveling or for bigger books, which can be hard to hold and bring with you places. Mostly, though, I'm a physical book person. (Smell, feel, no battery or screen).

What is your favourite genre and why?
Oh man, I don't know. I guess Fantasy, it'd have to be fantasy, I mean I've been really into SciFi lately but fantasy is just something I enjoy. Any kind of fantasy, I couldn't just pick one of those probably.

Why did you start blogging?
I started blogging on like a personal blog on Blogger in 2010, which I've since abandoned. I have a personal Tumblr, and then I started blogging here in 2011, August of, with my best friend Haley (who no longer posts here, but does book videos now).

What is something weird that you do whilst reading?
Weird? Well I tend to zone out so completely, that if someone says something to me I just won't hear them, unless they call my name a few times or like wave a hand in front of my face.

Who is your favourite background/support character?
In a book? Mmh, in a very recently finished book, I'm narrowing it because too many options, I'd have to say Penny Dreadful from The Immortal Empire series by Kate Locke, loved her to bits, she was fantastic.

What is one book that you really hated but everyone else seemed to love?
Monument 14, I know the last book just came out, and 'hate' may be a strong book, but the ending of that first book pissed me off so much. Also Zom-B by Darren Shan, I'd heard good things about his other books and I had that one and it was really short and - I think hate might be a good word for that, I just so stunned throughout it and sickened, even though I know authors don't share the same views as their characters, whatever, but it didn't need to be laid on that thick, it was disgusting (the main characters dad is racist, like holy shit racist, and kids always seem to want to please their fathers).

What is your fandom of choice?
Harry Potter fandom, hands down. No matter what's going on, even if it's bad, I still love that fandom. LeakyCon is my favorite place to be, and I hope I never miss one. I've bonded with my best friends over Harry Potter (or YouTube or Teen Wolf, but I'm not as into those fandoms because of drama and, in one case, shitty writing, excuse the language).

Other than reading, what is your passion?
Writing. I don't share much of it at this point and I'm glad for that, I think soon I'll get to the point where I can share it, but I haven't reached that yet. Even so, if I go even just one day without writing, it's weird and unnatural to me. And, to just further prove how insane I take my writing, I've been taking part in NaNoWriMo every year since 2009 and have overachieved the last few years (last year I wrote 367k in 30 days, that whole month is a blur).

What (canon) OTP would you change? (Harry/Ginny, Ron/Hermy, Tris/Four etc)
Well movie Harry/Ginny was cringeworthy, but I always loved them in the books. I'm not sure, though, currently in Warehouse 13, if you don't watch the show you should and they're currently airing the last season, but they seem to be trying to force two of the characters together who just do not have that kind of chemistry and it's uncomfortable. I have couples I don't want together, but I don't think any of them are actually currently together, so that's nice.

What book series really needs a TV/movie adaption?
Series? That's a hard one, there's so many, and a lot that I want that are apparently getting one (Leviathan Wakes being the main one that comes to mind). Percy Jackson would be cool (what's that? Those don't count, have you seen those movies? They're fun but they aren't the books). The Kingdom Keepers series by Ridley Pearson would be really cool, I think, as a series. And, mentioning it again, The Immortal Empire as a mini-series would be kickass.

Oh, oh and  just finished book one in the Dante Valentine series by Lilith Saintcrow - so that would be epic and her other one, Jill Kismet.

What was the last book you read, and why should we read it?
Working for the Devil (Dante Valentine #1) by Lilith Saintcrow was the last book I finished, like I mentioned. It was technically a reread but I barely remembered anything that'd actually happened. It's a lot of fun, and I really love the world building and our characters. Also there's that diverse reading thing going on in the community, which is awesome and I've added so many books to my TBR/wishlist because of it, and it isn't specifically talked about, at least in book one, but it mentions a pass lover of hers being female and another as male.

Blogs I Nominate: (not 9, I'm sorry, I just don't follow a lot of people with smaller blogs, I guess, and I didn't want to pick people completely out of the air)



My Questions for you: (Feel free to list more then one answer, if you can't just pick one)

  • When did you start blogging? And why did you start?
  • What's the last book you reread? And why did you reread it?
  • Favorite TV/movie? (that isn't based on a book)
  • Book/series that changed/influenced your life the most.
  • Fandoms you're apart of and your 'favorite'.
  • Hogwarts house. 
  • Weird reading habits or needs to be able to read?
  • Favorite book that was, at some point, 'required reading' for any reason.
  • What is your OTP(couple you most like/want together)? And what is your NOTP(two characters you should never be together romantically, in your opinion)?
  • Do you like ebooks? How often do you read one? Do you have an ereader?
  • What author, whose alive, do you most wish to meet and why?
I can't wait to see your answers to these questions, but if you don't want to do this, then that's also completely fine, I just thought this was a fun/cute idea and a way to pass on some love and support to smaller blogs.

11 comments:

  1. I am so ashamed that it took me two whole weeks to write my post and it took you less than four hours!
    I did really love it though, you made me chuckle a couple of times.
    I haven't read the Zom-B series yet, but Darren Shan used to be one of my favourite authors. I don't know whether I've completely grown up since then or what, but his books don't seem to strike the same chord as they used to!
    I've noticed (from literally reading today) that I seem to shout quite a lot when I'm reading, or make comments outside of the text. For example: reading Legend (Marie Lu) and someone dies. "Holy shit!" and my manager comes running in thinking I've wrecked something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I've learned if I don't do something right away, I just won't get it done.
      And thank you so much!
      I might try his other series, I've heard good things, Zom-B was just so uncomfortable to read.
      I don't know if I've ever shouted at a book, though I probably have at some point, normally books just make me laugh out loud. However, that sounds kind of hilarious to witness. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm totally with you movie Harry/Ginny are pretty terrible.
    I'd love to see a Percy Jackson adaption done right. There are so many issues with the movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously. And Percy Jackson has so much potential to be such a great movie, I try to just keep them completely separate in my mind, because just /wow/.

      Delete
  3. Wow, I'd never even heard of the Liebster Award before until you nominated my blog. Thank you very much for nominating it. I truly appreciate the gesture and look forward to making a post about it on my blog. :-)

    I'm right in the middle of moving.... Lol! So, I'll try to reserve sometime in the near future to write a post about the Liebster Award with a blurb about it, I look forward to sharing the eleven facts about myself and answer your questions, + create my own questions and nominate others!!

    Have a great day and keep up the good work on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't either, of course. I'm glad you're excited about it!

      Moving, that sounds stressful, I'm going to be doing that later in the year, but I can't wait to read your post when you share it. And you, too, thanks. :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, moving is stressful! I may not have the Liebster Award posted for a couple of weeks as we're moving on the 17th of May and that's right around the corner from now. I've started a draft of the post already.... Basically inserting an image, an introduction and the rules of the Liebster Award, but will have to come up with my 11 facts about me, answer your questions, think of my own questions and come up with my nominees later on.

      Delete
    3. That is just around the corner, I wish you the best of luck with moving and everything. Take your time, there's no time limit on it (at least that I know of), it's really just for fun. :)

      Delete
    4. I had a window of opportunity last night & early this morning to take part in the Liebster Award!! Yay, I'm excited about my post. Checkout the following link. :-) http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2014/05/ive-been-nominated-for-liebster-award.html

      Delete
  4. I must admit I was very confused, and extremely flattered, when you first commented on my blog saying you were giving me this award. After reading this post however I liked the idea a lot. I am a very shy person and it's hard for me to comment on other people's blogs; I think anxiety plays a large role in that for me as well, so the fact that this is a means to work through that fear sounds brilliant. So thank you very much, I really appreciate your nomination, and I'm looking forward to writing my own post and nominating others. Have an amazing day, enjoy your writing/reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if other people took it as a way to do that (the pushing through anxiety thing) but i definitely did and I'm glad you came over here to comment! I can't wait to read your post.
      And you, too. :)

      Delete