Friday, August 26, 2016

Book and Audiobook Review: Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock #1)

Title: Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock #1)
Author: Faith Hunter
Genre: urban fantasy
Rating: 5/5 stars
Page Count: 340
Publication Date: May 22nd, 2009

Plot (from goodreads):
Jane Yellowrock is the last of her kind-a skinwalker of Cherokee descent who can turn into any creature she desires and hunts vampires for a living. But now she's been hired by Katherine Fontaneau, one of the oldest vampires in New Orleans and the madam of Katie's Ladies, to hunt a powerful rogue vampire who's killing other vamps...





Review:
First we're going to talk about how I found this book and then the book and audiobook. I read probably 80-85% of this book through the audiobook, and I couldn't put it down (I ended up cleaning a shit ton purely because I wanted to keep listening to this but that's for later). It was recommended on audible and I was looking for something new to listen to - even though I should of been listening to the way too many audiobooks I own and haven't listened to.

And this had an interesting title - I knew what a skinwalker was, but not in this sense - and then I saw the main character was native american. And, this is a gap in my reading, I'm not sure I've ever read a book with a native american as the main character? I own a few but most of those heavily focus on that. With this book it's part of the story, and I suspect will with be a much bigger part in future books, but mostly it's just about her being kick ass and amazing. (Okay, there's more to it then that, but she is also kickass and amazing).

The main character, Jane Yellowrock, I'm not sure if I would love her so much if it wasn't for the audiobook narrator. Sometimes there are just audiobooks I click with and love, and I think this was one of them. She's got a great voice, and a great handle on the attitude in it that Jane has as a character. And she's definitely got attitude, and it's amazing.

I don't want to go too into the plot because it rolls slow at first - but it doesn't feel slow because new world and learning everything, and the characters are awesome - but when the plot hits, it hits. I'm trying really hard to make this a spew of love. I will say that towards the end I got a little confused with the fight scene, but that might be my normal trouble with concentrating on audiobooks. Which is why I don't do them as much as physical/ebooks, or maybe it was just a little confusing. Either way, only a little and am really damn excited to keep reading, or listening - I may of bought both physical and audio.

I've never heard a thing about this series but the first book has 22,000+ ratings on Goodreads, so I don't know if it's just me or not. (If you have/n't let me know). I highly recommend it, though - audio, if you're into that, but the words are still the same if you just read the old fashioned way.

If you've already read this book, let me know! (Especially if you've read on, I'd love to hear if you love the series). Or if you're thinking of picking it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment