Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Book Review: Coraline


Book: Coraline
Author: Neil Gaiman
Genre: Horror, Adventure, SciFi/Fantasy (Middle-Grade)
Rating: 5/5
Page count: 162 (Paperback)
Favorite character: the cat. I have no idea why, I just loved that stupid cat.

Plot: (from Goodreads)

Coraline's often wondered what's behind the locked door in the drawing room. It reveals only a brick wall when she finally opens it, but when she tries again later, a passageway mysteriously appears. Coraline is surprised to find a flat decorated exactly like her own, but strangely different. And when she finds her "other" parents in this alternate world, they are much more interesting despite their creepy black button eyes. When they make it clear, however, that they want to make her theirs forever, Coraline begins a nightmarish game to rescue her real parents and three children imprisoned in a mirror. With only a bored-through stone and an aloof cat to help, Coraline confronts this harrowing task of escaping these monstrous creatures.

Gaiman has delivered a wonderfully chilling novel, subtle yet intense on many levels. The line between pleasant and horrible is often blurred until what's what becomes suddenly clear, and like Coraline, we resist leaving this strange world until we're hooked. Unnerving drawings also cast a dark shadow over the book's eerie atmosphere, which is only heightened by simple, hair-raising text. Coraline is otherworldly storytelling at its best.


Review:
I loved this book, I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was amazing. I had only seen like clip of the movie and I was glad, I feel like that would of made the book's impact less, I'm not sure why. I really loved Coraline, the main character, and her parents. Her normal parents, that is. And the neighbors, really, I just really liked all of the characters.

This was my first Neil Gaiman book and I really loved his writing style and the way he described the way things were happening and the surrounding was just so very good. There are also some creepy drawing in this book that I really loved, they also added to the book a lot more then I thought.

Overall, I'd defiantly recommend it to anyone who likes a good creepy book.


2 comments:

  1. Hi, Casey! I read Coraline sometime ago and I remember thinking how utterly creepy it was for a kids book. To this day I shiver from the black button eyes. Have you read Gaiman's The Graveyard Book? Also creepy in a way but heartwarming too. Loved it!

    New follower~

    Stephanie ~Misfit Salon~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't yet, but I've got it and it's close to the top of my to-read pile!

    And yay, thanks for following.

    ~Casey

    ReplyDelete