Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Book Review: Depression & Other Magic Tricks

Title: Depression & Other Magic Tricks
Author: Sabrina Benaim
Genre: Poetry
Rating: 3/5
Page Count: 97
Publication Date: April 18th, 2017

Summary:
This is a poetry collection written by Sabrina Benaim (best known for Explaining My Depression to My Mother) and this is her first poetry collection.


author's twitter





Review:
There were parts of this collection I really, really enjoyed and connected to but it didn't blow me away in any way. I don't know what it was about this collection but, while I did really enjoy it, I didn't become super attached to it.

I didn't know a lot of this poetry collection when I originally decided to request it, though I did realize I knew a poem from it - Explaining My Depression to my Mother - which, if you haven't listened to, hey. I've seen it during those slam poetry youtube holes I fall down every once and a while.

I'm not sure why this poetry collection didn't catch me more, maybe it was just the mood I was in while I was reading it. I did enjoy it, don't get me wrong, but I did get annoyed with it at points. All of which were definitely personal things and nothing to do with the author.

There were multiple points talking about her depression in relation to a signficant other, which I understand can be a part of it, but the way she described it at points was honestly just frustrating for me. Someone else cannot cure your depression and that just argh.

Overall, though, this was a solid poetry collection and I would recommend checking it out.

Goodreads
Barnes and Noble
Indiebound
Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment