Monday, April 23, 2012

Book Review: American Gods

Title: American Gods
Author: Neil Gaiman
Genre: SciFi, Fantasy
Rating: 5/5
Page Count: 592 (Mass Market Paperback)
Favorite Character: Um, gods is that hard. (Gods, get it?) But I think it would have to be one of the gods, I mean I liked Shadow, but he didn't have that zing, you know? I really enjoyed Easter, she might of been one of my favorites.

Plot: (From Goodreads)
After three years in prison, Shadow has done his time. But as the days, then the hours, then the minutes, then the seconds until his release tick away, he can feel a storm building. Two days before he gets out, his wife Laura dies in a mysterious car crash, in apparently adulterous circumstances. Dazed, Shadow travels home, only to encounter the bizarre Mr. Wednesday claiming to be a refugee from a distant war, a former god and the king of America. Together they embark on a very strange journey across the States, along the way solving the murders which have occurred every winter in one small American town. But they are being pursued by someone with whom Shadow must make his peace... Disturbing, gripping and profoundly strange, Neil Gaiman's epic new novel sees him on the road to finding the soul of America.

Review:
I read the 10th Anniversay Edition and it, apparently, had 12k more words in it then the normal edition, but I can't imagine what the other one doesn't have. While I was reading this book I couldn't even think of reading another book, which I don't think had ever happened to me before. Normally I read too many books at a time to count. I start one, put a bookmark in it, and sometimes forget about it for a while. (On Goodreads it says I'm currently-reading 12 books, which is on the lower side for me.)

Anyway, about the book. This book was something else. I don't even know if I could tell you exactly what I loved about it so much. I definitely loved the characters, the gods and the mortals. This book was weird and strange and just a bit odd, really odd in some places, but it was amazing. I loved it. The characters were lovable and, maybe not relatable, but you almost still could relate to them, anyway.

And, of course, the writing was just amazing. And some of the sentences had me giggling at the randomest times. Like, at the end, there's a sentence that goes like this:

"The house smelled musty and damp, and a little sweet, as if it were haunted by the ghosts of long-dead cookies."

I don't know why, but that sentence struck me as hilarious.

Moving on, though, besides the sometimes hilarious random sentences and the amazing characters and writing, there was the plot. The plot wasn't something that I was expecting, I mean, I knew this book was about gods, but I didn't quite know where it would go with that. And the plot, which I'm not going to tell you a thing about, was done really well, perfectly even.

I'm going to stop raving about this book and just tell you to go and read it. And I hope that you enjoyed it as much as I did, even though it's strange and odd and weird, it's also wonderful and brilliant. (Also, I kind of want to go visit these tourist traps that are mentioned just to see them. I should mention that this is not a Young Adult book by any standards, so be aware of that when you pick it up, but do pick it up).

No comments:

Post a Comment