Thursday, May 10, 2012

Book Review: The Selection

Book: The Selection (The Selection #1)
Author: Kiera Cass
Genre: Dystopian
Rating: 5/5
Page Count: 327 (Hardcover)
Favorite Character: Besides America, I think it would have to be Maxon.

Plot: (From Goodreads)

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.


Review:
The Selection is about a contest to become the next princess and then queen of this country. Our main character America enters it not because she wants to, but because a boy asks her to and her family could really use the money that is given to the contestants. I really liked America, I thought she was strong and stubborn in some aspects and sometimes sarcastic, but that's on of the reasons why I liked her so much. Some of her inner dialogue had me laughing out loud, how she said some things were just so funny to me. This might be because I, too, can be quite sarcastic. I feel like if America was real, we'd get along, which is probably one of the reasons I liked her character so much.

Also, I want to talk about the writing. Kiera is technically a debut author, but she has a self-published book called The Siren, that you should total check out here is the Goodreads page and a link to Amazon. Anyway, I knew I liked her writing style because I'd loved The Siren, but I'd forgotten just how much I enjoyed it and this book definitely reminded me of it.

I can't wait for the next book in the series! And let's just draw away from the actual story for one second to say: that cover is gorgeous, I love it so very much! And now that's taken care of, I love a good Dystopian and this is definitely one of them. Kiera's a debut and this is a way to enter in with a bang.

No comments:

Post a Comment