Monday, June 18, 2012

Book Review: The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell

Book: The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories #1)
Author: Chris Colfer
Genre: Fantasy, Fairy Tale retellings (Middle Grade)
Rating: 4/5
Page Count: 488 (Hardcover)
Favorite character: I'm not sure. I really loved Goldilocks, though, even though she's not in the book too much, I did really enjoy her character and back story.

Plot:
Alex and Conner Bailey's world is about to change, in this fast-paced adventure that uniquely combines our modern day world with the enchanting realm of classic fairytales.

The Land of Stories tells the tale of twins Alex and Conner. Through the mysterious powers of a cherished book of stories, they leave their world behind and find themselves in a foreign land full of wonder and magic where they come face-to-face with the fairy tale characters they grew up reading about.

But after a series of encounters with witches, wolves, goblins, and trolls alike, getting back home is going to be harder than they thought.

Review:
I didn't know what to expect going into this book. I mean, fairy tale retellings are something that have been happening in abundance but, at least personally, I've never read anything like this one. It's not so much a retelling as a continuation of the fairy tales that everyone read and loved, and I adored it. I loved all the different back stories that Chris gives to these characters.

I didn't have many problems with this book, as it were, besides the fact that it took me a ridiculous amount of time to read it, but I'm blaming that on a reading slump. Some of the writing, though, was a little weird, some of the wording of things didn't sit right with me, bringing me out of the story a little, but that wasn't a frequent happening. As you can see, probably, since I rated it 4/5.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and would recommend to anyone who would love to find out one way that fairy tale characters lives could go after that 'happily ever after.' And even the not to happily ever afters, too.

On an a slightly unrelated not, isn't that cover awesome? I adore it. Especially because it has the twins on it and other characters from the book. I just think it's completely gorgeous.

No comments:

Post a Comment