Thursday, March 6, 2014

2014: Book Reviews (4 - Harry Potter edition)

I'm not going to do a full review of each Harry Potter book, I don't actually know if I could and if I did most of it would just be flailing. I already put a lot of thoughts, most of them, in my rereads of 2014 post, so I don't know what else I can share.

I did a full reread of Harry Potter in February, which I haven't done for a long time, and if you want to read more about rereading and my HP experience and such you can check out my post about Rereading books and Why I Think It's Important. So most of things I want to say about this series have been said, probably.

I love this series, I love Harry Potter. The characters, the world, the whole freaking deal, I absolutely adore it. (I go to HP conventions, this should be obvious). I'm going to keep things as vague as I can, but - there are going to be spoilers below. I'm sorry but just go and read them if you haven't already.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter #1) by J.K. Rowling (5/5)
So good and so just - lovely. This is probably the one I've reread the most recently, but it might of been Deathly Hallows. I love this first book and Harry finding out that he's a wizard and how his parents died and that he's famous. I just - love it. And it's so comforting, the whole series it, it's like... home. (Cheesy, but so true).

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter #2) by J.K. Rowling (5/5)
I normally say this is my least favorite book in the series, probably the one I've reread the least behind Goblet of Fire, but I flew through it this time alone. And I did really enjoy it. From Harry seeing the Burrow first time and really staying with the Weasley's just in general, to the flying car thing, I really enjoyed rereading this on.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter #3) by J.K. Rowling (5/5)
I love this book and, surprisingly, not just because I'm a Marauder fangirl, though that definitely is part of it. I really enjoy how at the beginning, Harry is trying to stay calm, in control, and also how he was doing his homework at night. And how he looses control, even being older now. Obviously - I love Remus teaching them and that whole end with the Shrieking Shack and the time turner, it's so good and so very clever.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter #4) by J.K. Rowling (5/5)
So, like I said, this is about tied with CoS for book I've reread the least. Which is just - awful, truly, because I loved this book rereading it. And even though it's basically twice the size of PoA, I flew through it. I just kind of love the whole thing, honestly, it's fantastic and intense as hell at parts. Also, you know, finishing that book that it's started again, and that they're just going to get darker.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter #5) by J.K. Rowling (5/5)
I don't know why  ever through CoS was my least favorite of the series, because it's definitely this one. I mean I still really enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, but Umbridge, guys. She makes me want to strange her or just bash her, or my, head against the wall. She's just so - evil, honestly, but in an almost civil way. She's clever about it but cruel, but there are still some things I love. The D.A. meetings and the twins pranks. The ending always gets me, though, I'm sure you all know why.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter #6) by J.K. Rowling (5/5)
I have no warm fuzzy feelings for Slughorn, but also not really any really negative feelings about it, I'm pretty meh. So - that was fantastic after Umbridge. And some of the scenes in this book are odd and hilarious. Overall, I love this book, with the memories of Voldemort and the problems the kids run into. And the ending, from GoF on all the endings are just - awful and amazing. (Except the Epilogue on Deathly Hallows, but shhhh).

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter #6) by J.K. Rowling (5/5)
Why do so many of my absolute favorite characters die? Ah, well, I guess it's okay. I love the whole end of this book. Except the Epilogue. Oddly enough, I didn't mind the epilogue all that much the first few times and I read it and then - the more I did and the more I thought about what it implied (I'm pretty sure I was mostly in shock still, or sobbing, especially the first time through), I just don't like it, it annoys me. But - the book is fantastic and the series is fantastic and I'm so glad I reread them now.

No comments:

Post a Comment