Tuesday, March 18, 2014

2014: Book Reviews (5)

And more of these mini-book review posts! I really enjoy these, and sometimes they make me realize I do have enough to say for a full review on a book, which is always great. I honestly love reviewing books but mostly just blogging in general, even if it's just kind of for me at points. Anyway - books to review!

This Star Won't Go Out: The Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl and many others (5/5)
I did a full review on this. But, just to push on you how much you need to read this book, it's heartbreaking and beautiful and very real and very raw. And my copy has tear stains on a few pages, so please pick this book up and check into the charity that her parents set up in her name.

The Assassin's Curse (The Assassin's Curse #1) by Cassandra Rose Clarke (4/5)
I had some issues with it, mostly the severe lack of world building, but I did mostly just really enjoy it. It was kind of a light read, which was what I needed to be able to dip into during my Harry Potter reread. I liked the characters and I'm planning on picking up the second book (and the short stories) at some point. Hopefully soon.

The Search for WondLa (WondLa #1) by Tony DiTerlizzi (5/5)
How much I loved this book was a complete shock. I've got a review in the works for this one, but definitely check it out and give it a go (the pictures, friend, the illustrations are gorgeous). Possible review to come, we'll see, I'm trying to write it.

A Wizard of EarthSea (Earthsea Cycle #1) by Usulua K. Le Guin (?)
I didn't actually rate this one and I have no idea what to say about it. It's one that I have a lot to say and nothing to say about it at the same time. Overall - I'd say I enjoyed it, though I couldn't stand the beginning, and still am a tad angry with it. But, besides that, I think it's stayed around so long for a reason, and that you should give it a try, even just to be bewildered by it like I am. I don't think I've never just not rated a book before (personally or on GR).

Frostbite (Vampire Academy #2) by Richelle Meade (3/5)
It was - eh. It felt like the definition of a filler episode of a TV show until like the last fifty pages or so, maybe only thirty even. And I always want to just fly through all the books while I'm midway through it, apparently, then don't have the want to once I'm finished. I do like the series, mostly, but I also don't think it's worth all the hype it's been getting.


No comments:

Post a Comment