Tuesday, January 3, 2012

My Favorite John Green Quotes

I love quotes and I kind of collect them. From silly to inspirational or sad, I've got a fair amount of them saved on Goodreads or in my quote notebook, as I call it. However, I do believe I have more by John Green then maybe any other writer. (Probably only rivaled by the amount I love from Cassandra Clare.) NOw, these aren't really going to be in any particular order, but I'll try and put them in such. They're all different kinds of quotes, though, so we'll see. Some will be deep and insightful, however, some will also just be funny. I hope you enjoy.

From books: (I'm just going to say: POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD)

1. "Imagining the future is a kind of nostalgia." (From Looking for Alaska)

2. "Book are the ultimate Dumpees; put them down and they'll wait for you forever; pay attention to them and they always love you back. (An Abundance of Katherines)

3. "What a treacherous thing to believe that a person is more than a person."

4. "So I walked back to my room and collapsed on the bottom bunk, thinking that if people were rain, I was drizzle and she was a hurricane." (Looking for Alaska)

5. "It always shocked me when I realized that I wasn’t the only person in the world who thought and felt such strange and awful things." (Looking for Alaska)

6. “Thomas Edison's last words were 'It's very beautiful over there'. I don't know where there is, but I believe it's somewhere, and I hope it's beautiful.”

From VlogBrother's videos:

1. "Saying 'I notice you're a nerd' is like saying, 'Hey, I notice that you'd rather be intelligent than be stupid, that you'd rather be thoughtful than be vapid, that you believe that there are things that matter more than the arrest record of Lindsay Lohan. Why is that?' In fact, it seems to me that most contemporary insults are pretty lame. Even 'lame' is kind of lame. Saying 'You're lame' is like saying 'You walk with a limp.' Yeah, whatever, so does 50 Cent, and he's done all right for himself." (Vlogbrothers video)

2. "You can love someone so much...But you can never love people as much as you can miss them." (I'm not sure if this is from a VlogBrother's video, but it's not very spoiler-y, anyway.)

3. "The venn diagram of boys who don't like smart girls and boys you don't want to date is a circle." "Vlogbrothers video)

4. “…because nerds like us are allowed to be unironically enthusiastic about stuff… Nerds are allowed to love stuff, like jump-up-and-down-in-the-chair-can’t-control-yourself love it. Hank, when people call people nerds, mostly what they’re saying is ‘you like stuff.’ Which is just not a good insult at all. Like, ‘you are too enthusiastic about the miracle of human consciousness’.”

5. “Lucky Charms are like the vampires of breakfast cereal. They're magical, they're delicious, they're a little bit dangerous and bad for you. They initially make you feel great, but then over time you realize that maybe your relationship with Lucky Charms is just a little bit unhealthy and you start to think, 'Maybe I don't want to be in a long-term relationship with a breakfast cereal that tastes delicious but damages my health.' But then the Lucky Charms gets all stalker on you and for some reason you kind of like that. It makes you feel special. So yeah, you spend your life with Lucky Charms. That's awesome. That's a great way to... get diabetes.”

And, lastly, we have:

6. “Maybe our favorite quotations say more about us than about the stories and people we're quoting.”

I hope you enjoyed the above quotes. However, this week is John Green week, being hosted by IEatWords (with the help of others), so we're going to try and post something everyday. Maybe not every single day, but almost.

Best wishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment