Monday, March 10, 2014

Book Review: Wool Omnibus (Silo #1)

Title: Wool Omnibus (Silo #1)
Author: Hugh Howey
Genre: SciFi/Fantasy, Dystopian
Rating: 5/5
Pages: 539 (Paperback)
Publication Date: first published 2011

Story Notion: What... is happening? Oh my god.

Plot: (Goodreads)
Contains WOOLs 1 - 5.

This Omnibus Edition collects the five Wool books into a single volume. It is for those who arrived late to the party and who wish to save a dollar or two while picking up the same stories in a single package.

The first Wool story was released as a standalone short in July of 2011. Due to reviewer demand, the rest of the story was released over the next six months. My thanks go out to those reviewers who clamored for more. Without you, none of this would exist. Your demand created this as much as I did.

This is the story of mankind clawing for survival, of mankind on the edge. The world outside has grown unkind, the view of it limited, talk of it forbidden. But there are always those who hope, who dream. These are the dangerous people, the residents who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple. They are given the very thing they profess to want: They are allowed outside.

Review:
All of these five stories are connected, obviously considering they were put in one book, but they're also split up for a reason, I thought. It's almost to give you pause, like that part of the story is over now, or something is different.

And the first one is the shortest and the most confusing and kind of painful, they're all... painful, actually. So much stuff happens but at first it's slow going even though I felt things happening and I was pretty much terrified for the characters through this entire book. And it just got worse, actually, as it went on.

I couldn't tell you exactly why I liked this book, or collection, not exactly, but I can give you a few guesses. The characters would be number one, I'm also a character person, and these charaters are something, that's for sure, and I did enjoy them all and how they were connected and how they acted through out the series.

Also - I found the first three about books slow, because I did like the characters and the weird situation they were in, but it also kind of just meanders a bit at the beginning. And, looking back, I'm not sure it was a bad thing. If you find it too slow at first, just keep going and pushing, it's an amazing story with an interesting world that I want to learn more about and the writing is good.

Amazon
Indiebound

No comments:

Post a Comment