Thursday, August 17, 2017

Book Review: Takeover (#1)

Title(s): Takeover (Takeover Series #1)
Author: Anna Zabo
Genre: Romance/Erotica (m/m romance) (BDSM)
Rating: 4/5
Page Count: 229
Publication Date: January 1st, 2014

Plot:
This is a story about Michael and Sam who meet and have a fantastic one night stand in Curacao. Michael wants to let some steam off, as does Sam. Before Michael returns back to his job he's passionate about but being screwed over in, and not in the fun way. And Sam returns back to fixing companies and being firmly in the closet.

And then Michael's new CEO ends up being Sam. What will they do? Try and stay as professional as possible? Sam might not be able to get work if people know he's gay, he's seen it happen. But is it worth it to be unhappy if that means missing out on Michael?

Review:
(Trigger warnings, for this book and review(at end): assault, homophobic language, internalized homophobia, D/s + sadist/masochist (healthy relationship but still could be triggering) )
If I've missed any - for book or review, please, please let me know
This book. whew boy. It's hot as hell, first of all. If you're not into sex scenes, this book - or series, isn't for you. But if you don't mind them, carry on.

Honestly, some of the best scenes were the two of them flirting, while trying to remain professional but also plainly flirting. There's a lot of chemistry and some feelings, but I really don't think this is an insta love story. Instant lust, definitely, and maybe some infatuation, but this book takes place over quite a few months and I was interested with how it moved forward.

Sam and Michael are both fantastic characters, I loved both of them, and I'm so glad we get to see them more in the rest of the series because I would of honestly missed them if that wasn't the case. I already want to go back and reread this one because of that very reason and it's barely been a week.

This book is definitely about a D/s relationship and it was a hell of a good one, in my opinion. If you're wary of picking this book up because of that, feel free to ask me any questions here - in the comments or, if you don't feel comfortable with it being public, my private email in in my abouts (mostly for review requests, but feel free to use it for things like this, as well).

I have never entered into a D/s or a sadist/masochist relationship, so I can't speak for that. However, none of it came across as abusive or manipulative to me. They're both consenting adults, and they're really damn enjoying themselves. There's some abuse in Sam's past but it's not related to a past relationship.

I highly, highly recommend this series. It's a ton of fun, hot as hell, and the characters are all fleshed out really well (in my opinion).

If you've read this, let's chat in the comments, or if you're planning on picking it up let me know. (if you think I missed a trigger warning, let me know.

Happy Reading!

Goodreads
Kindle
Kobo

No comments:

Post a Comment