Friday, March 1, 2019

January 2019 | Monthly Wrap Up

Here we go, back to my roots. I really love monthly or whatever wrap ups, depending on how much I've been reading. I was going to do January and February together but I read just so many things in January that I don't want to make that big of a post, January by itself is already a lot, and one I even considered splitting up. I'm still not fully sure what came over me in January but I read 40+ books.

I mean, over half was manga, but 12 of those were omnibus' and also there were a lot of novels/novellas in there as well. I don't know how this happened at all.

Novels, novellas, ect:
An Extraordinary Union by Alyssa Cole (5/5)
Girl-King by Brittany Cavallaro (3/5)
Band Sinister by KJ Charles (4/5)
The Red Threads of Fortune by JY Yang (5/5)
Strangers in Town by Cedar Sigo (4/5)
From Scratch (Sea Port #1) by Katrina Jackson (5/5) 
Whiskey Words & A Shovel III by R.H. Sin (3/5)
Dog Songs + A Thousand Mornings by Mary Oliver (5/5)
Wish You Were Here by Rita Mae Brown (3/5)
We Should All Be Feminist by Chimimanda Ngozi Adichie (4/5)
Toil and Trouble edited by Tess Sharpe + Jessica Spotswood (4/5)
The Wedding Date by Jasmine Guillory (5/5)
My Favorite Half-Night Stand by Christina Lauren (3/5)
Viral by Lily Myers, Neil Hilborn, Javon Johnson, Rachel Rostad, Pages Matam, Dylan Garity, Guante, Michael Mlekoday (4/5)

Manga:
Fruits Basket, Collectors Editions: Volumes 1 - 12 by Natsuki Takaya (series rating: 5/5)
Ouran High School Host Club, Volume 1-18 by Bisco Hatori (series rating: 4.5/5)
Kamisama Kiss, Volume 1 by Julliette Suzuki (4/5)

Graphic novels/Comics:
The Magic of Christmas by Andrea Edwards, Motoyo Fujiwara (3/5)
Miles Morales #1 by Saladin Ahmed, Javier Garron (5/5)

And, as always, talking about what I read. First off - An Extraordinary Union was incredible and I highly recommend to everyone. I was worried it was going to be too hard to get through, considering the time it's set in, and it isn't exactly an easy read.

Band Sinister took me forever, for some reason, but I thought it was a ton of fun. There's a subplot about a like mystery/horror novel and I was living for it. The Red Threads of Fortune was so good, I'm loving this series so fucking much. It's so different and so rich, which is incredible since they're so short, and the magic system is just so interesting and so much fun.

I'm going to be shouting about From Scratch from the rooftops - it was a poly m/m/f romance and I fucking loved it. The MC was a fat black girl who baked and I loved her, like i was sad when the book was over and we wouldn't get more of her and her boys, and also her friends. The guys I also really enjoyed, longtime friends (hello both meet cute + friends to lovers in one book, triad romances are the shit). Anyway - this was fucking adorable and so good.

I also highly recommend The Wedding Date, I loved it so much - I've been, and still kind of in a romance mood. And also I enjoyed all the stories in Toil and Trouble, and obviously enjoyed both Fruits Baskey and Ouran.

I, honestly, couldn't tell you how many times I've read through Fruits Basket and I'm so excited for the new adaptation that's coming out, that'll follow the whole story. Also the new Miles comics is so good so far - I've only read one issue and I'm already attached?

Anyway - like I said, it was a crazy month for reading, I read so much. I hope you all had a good, or at least not bad, January. Let me know if you've also read any of these books or are planning to.

No comments:

Post a Comment