Friday, February 28, 2014

2014: Book Reviews (3)

And we have part three of this series I've been doing, I'm falling behind but hopefully I can get caught up now that I've slowed down the pace I was keeping in January. And, without any further introduction, the books.

Firstborn by Brandon Sanderson (4/5)
This was interesting and facinating. It was very short, just a short story, but I was pulled in instantly, as is normally the case with Sanderson. This story has a rich world, even though we don't spend much time in it, and some very interesting things to be learned. It's only 99 cents, I believe, on Kindle, totally worth it.

Doctor Who: The Rising Night by Scott Handcock (3/5)
I listened to this, audible style, but I kept getting distracted and had to back it up. And I wasn't really doing anything important, it just didn't hold my attention very much. It was an interesting story and a good little short Doctor Who fix, but not one of the best Doctor Who novels/novellas I've read or listened to.

Hawkeye, Vol. 2: Little Hits by Matt Fraction and many more (4/5)
Really liked this. For some reason I just like Clint's character and personality, even if he can be an asshole, and it makes it fun to read. I really don't have much of anything to say about this one, except that Kate is awesome.

Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy #1) by Richelle Meade (3/5)
It was - good. Okay. Just some of the high school drama BS dragged a little for my taste, I really don't have much time for it. I do want to continue this series, I liked Rose and I liked the mythos. I felt like they handled a few things a little odd. I kind of think that their age difference (Rose/Dimiri) isn't a really big deal at all? I mean, even the apprentice thing isn't that big of deal, but maybe I just don't think of it as such a shock anymore. The apprentice thing, I think, should definitely be more of a problem then their age difference.

Seduction in Death (In Death #13) by J.D. Robb (5/5)
Oh man, guys, this was so good. I love this series and it is a tad cheesy at points, the writing, but not in a bad way. If that makes any sense to you. I adore these characters and how they interact. This one had a lot of them present. The killer(s) were known pretty early on but that didn't change the tension at all, and I love that even though there are a ton of these books, the murders/plot never feels done before or old.

Reunion in Death (In Death #14) by J.D. Robb (5/5)
Really good, too. I adored it, I really did. And it had a lot more personal stuff with the main character and her past. These books aren't, like, high literature, but they're fun and a good story and normally keep me guessing pretty well. And, of course, adore the characters and that is a good enough reason to continue reading.

And I'm going to stop here for now, because next is the first Harry Potter book, kicking off my Harry Potter read. I think I'll do a full post like this revolving around that and then back to normal. (There were two books in the middle of the series that I'll just kick back to the next review post).

No comments:

Post a Comment