Sunday, February 23, 2014

Book Review: Pathfinder (Pathfinder #1)

Title: Pathfinder (Pathfinder #1)
Author: Orson Scott Card
Genre: High Fantasy
Rating: 3/5 stars
Pages: 657
Publication Date: November 23rd, 2010

Story Notion: What? I - what? I'm not even really confused, I just don't know.

Plot: (from Goodreads)
A powerful secret. A dangerous path.
Rigg is well trained at keeping secrets. Only his father knows the truth about Rigg's strange talent for seeing the paths of people's pasts. But when his father dies, Rigg is stunned to learn just how many secrets Father had kept from him--secrets about Rigg's own past, his identity, and his destiny. And when Rigg discovers that he has the power not only to see the past, but also to change it, his future suddenly becomes anything but certain.

Rigg’s birthright sets him on a path that leaves him caught between two factions, one that wants him crowned and one that wants him dead. He will be forced to question everything he thinks he knows, choose who to trust, and push the limits of his talent…or forfeit control of his destiny.

Review:
I liked this book, overall, I just want to say this first. It was good, if not very long, and a little jumbly and some of the physics was like no, no stop.

Okay, it wasn't that long, it just felt like it would never end.

There was one huge problem I had with this book - besides the weird science - and it was the female characters. Well, kind of the lack of them but also them, too. Leaky was the best, but even then she felt very stereotypical. And then the only other female character, who is definitely a spoiler, but she's just kind of - eh. I liked her, mostly, but also just kind of eh.

So overall I did really like this book and I managed to get past my problems while reading, mostly. I did stop a few times, to wonder how many paradoxes he could create in one sentence without physics just killing him because I guess that's okay.

It wasn't groundbreaking, I guess it what I'm saying. It was interesting and I'm interested to learn more about the world, but also not enough to pick up the second book straight away, which was right next to me when I finished. But also, on that same note, I don't know if I want to learn more, just because of some of the main problems I had with the world. I've only ever read one other book or Orson Scott Card's, Ender's Game of course, and I liked it - another lack of female characters - but I guess I couldn't just let it go so much this time, for some reason.

I normally don't let the person affect how I read their books, but maybe I just can't let go how Card is kind of a... dick (kind of as in really, honestly, and it's also the word most used to describe him so I'm just going with it, no offense intended). I knew that going into Ender's Game, though, and it didn't affect how I felt about the book at all, so maybe I don't have biased caused by that, either was - this was a okay book, but not amazing or astounding or even really great.

No comments:

Post a Comment