Thursday, February 20, 2014

Book Review: This Star Won't Go Out

Title: This Star Won't Go Out
Author: Esther Earl (and many others)
Genre: Non-Fiction
Rating: 5/5
Pages: 431 pages (Hardcover)
Publication Date: January 28th, 2014

Story Notion: Oh god, that was fantastic. Heart wrenching.

Plot: (Goodreads)

A collection of the journals, fiction, letters, and sketches of the late Esther Grace Earl, who passed away in 2010 at the age of 16. Photographs and essays by family and friends will help to tell Esther’s story along with an introduction by award-winning author John Green who dedicated his #1 bestselling novel The Fault in Our Stars to her.



Review:
I don't honestly know what I can tell you about this book, but I also feel like I needed to write a review, to try and add just another voice to urge people to read it. And I don't think you have to be a nerdfighter to enjoy this, although I am and I actually live very close to where Esther did. There is some religlion mixed in but it's not an overpowering presence. Esther's family was religious, but if you're not religious like I am, it shouldn't bother you, it's not preachy or overpowering. I've seen some people saying it bothered them, but it didn't bother me, normally because my eyes were blurring with tears for most of this book.

I had to stop reading this book and putting it aside and just breathing because this book hurt, it hurt a lot, but I also think it should be read. People should be reading it and taking things away from her life, because Esther was someone I wished I'd met, because she sounded like an amazing person. And I think the fact that she did change the world, even if it wasn't directly her, it also kind of was and she got to see just the beginning of it.

I don't have much more to say on this book, I don't want to say much more, because I think you need to just read it. It's so - raw I think is the word I'm looking for. Everything that happens, it covered pretty much from the time she was diagnosed to her death and there are a lot of her diary/journal and blog entires about what was going on and how she was feeling.

So, definitely bring a box of tissues, but also be prepared to think, because that's what this book made me do most. If you're still unsure, then I've got some links to maybe convince you. Esther had her own YouTube channel, and then there's John's first real two videos about her here and here.

Amazon
IndieBound

No comments:

Post a Comment