Thursday, June 5, 2014

2014: Book Reviews (7)

And here we go, another part of this series I'm doing. I really like this idea, even though a lot of these books I did post full reviews of. I haven't done one of these in way too long, and with the recent read-a-thons that have happened, I'm starting to fall behind. Anyway - onto the books.

Paradox: The Nine Great Enigmas in Physics by Jim Al-Khalili (5/5)
I really enjoyed this book, it's a non-fiction science book full of interesting physics things. Which probably sounds very boring to you, but if it sounds interesting I'd check this one out. He can articulate what he's trying to say very well, which is important for non-fiction and especially with something like this that goes this deep into quantum physics and other stuff. I'd like to write a full review of this one, but I don't think it'll happen, just because that's kind of all I have to say about it.

The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells (4/5)
Good, even very good, but it just felt like it was a little odd at points to me. I did really enjoy it, though, and it's what I'm blaming on my recent SciFi binge and then love, which I kind of hope never goes away (the love for it, that is).

Redshirts by John Scalzi (5/5)
So. Fucking. Good. And hilarious as hell. I put up a full review here, but basically I highly recommend this book (even for people who aren't Star Trek fans).

Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse #1) by James S.A. Corey (5/5)
This book. I've got a full review here, but - man I cannot stop just spewing how much I love this book and flailing so I'll just stop now.

The Martian by Andy Weir (5/5)
This was also a really funny SciFi book, but it's about a guy that just gets trapped on Mars. And he's a really great narrator, and it's probably why I loved this book so much, because he's hilarious. Full review here.

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski (5/5)
Psychological horror book that is great. It took me a while to read it, but I didn't really mind that, it was just one of those books that I felt would be better slow. And it was creepy and how the text is arranged at certain parts added a lot to the atmosphere and it was really cool.

The Preacher: Book One by Garth Ennis, Steve Dillon (5/5)
Gore, violence, what would probably offend anyone whose at all religious. Everything I love! (Okay, that was a joke, kind of a joke because looking on my taste it's also a tad true). I've got a full review up here. (Basically, though - really good, can't wait to continue the series).

Caliban's War (The Expanse #2) by James S.A. Corey (5/5)
This series is fantastic. And instead of fangirling about it again, I'm just going to stop - check out this series (my full review of Leviathan Wakes it just a little up there). Space Opera, guys - it's so good.

The Emperor's Soul by Brandon Sanderson (5/5)
A reread and this time I listened to the audiobook and loved it as much as I did the first time. Sanderson writes such rich worlds with such interesting magic systems and they're always so different, it's incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment