Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Book Review: Caliban's War (The Expanse #2)

Title: Caliban's War (The Expanse #2)
Author: James S.A. Corey
Genre: Adult SciFi (Space Opera, Horror, Adventure)
Rating: 5/5
Page Count: 595 (paperback)
Publication Date: January 1st, 2012

Plot: (from Goodreads)
For someone who didn't intend to wreck the solar system's fragile balance of power, Jim Holden did a pretty good job of it. When a single super-soldier begins slaughtering soldiers of Earth and Mars, the race is on to discover whether this is the vanguard of an alien army, or if the danger lies closer to home.

Review:
I reviewed the first book Leviathan Wakes, which you can check out, but this review isn't going to have any spoilers for either.

I loved this book more then the first one. Which is kind of saying something, because I really, really enjoyed and loved the first one. I was weary of new point of view chapters, but I really enjoyed them and the new characters they introduced, and I hope to see more of those characters in the next book. I really like multiple points of view in general, I tend to like when a book does it but sometimes it isn't handled right, but that's not the case here.

Holden and his crew are fantastic characters who are easy to love, I'd really love a chapter from Naomi, Alex, or Amos' point of view. I really like Naomi, but I'm much more interested in hearing Alex's background the most, I think. Also - the dialogue in this book, and not just between these four but the other characters as well, at some points it's just so completely perfect.

Like the first book, I loved the world building, this world just feels so real and you're so immersed in it from the very beginning, just completely. And - the plot was also really good, but for me these books are about the characters and everything they're doing, the fact that there is an awesome, well done plot in an astounding SciFi universe, however, is also really, really good.

This series has so many different facets of it and I cannot wait to read the third, Abaddon's Gate, and then the fourth, Cibola Burn, out in June!

Overall, I'd recommend this series, but I know it isn't going to be for everyone. It's heavy SciFi, a space opera, and they're over 500 pages (however, if you see a book, for some reason they all look gigantic, like they're at least 1,000 pages, I promise, just 500).

Anyway - if a heavy, character driven SciFi space opera with a crew is something you think you'd like then you'll love this.

No comments:

Post a Comment