Friday, June 13, 2014

Friday Finds (3)

I really like this idea as a meme, which is a meme hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading. It's, basically, books you've discovered during the week, whether you've just added them to the never ending "to-read" list (or shelf on Goodreads, as I do) or if you've actually bought them. These are the books I've discovered since the last time I was able to get one of these up.

I feel like I'm always discovering new books through so many different ways, and this is a good idea to remind myself of books I was really excited about, but also to share the books I've discovered. If you've heard of any of these or read them, please let me know in the comments.

But first off - these are from the last few weeks, I keep forgetting about this and then it's Friday again (how is it almost the middle of June already?). Anyway - books, let's talk about some books.

Prisoner of Night and Fog by Anne Blankman
This sounds super interesting, its historical and she's related to Hitler in someway and apparently something changes everything she's learned. And that's all I know, and I'm not really sure what this is about because I haven't looked at the full description anywhere. Still sounds amazing.

First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones
I know nothing about this book - except that the first three books on BookOutlet were super cheap and they had a good overall rating on Goodreads, sounding interesting, and have okay reviews by people I'm friends with. So for like two dollars a book, I'll give it a shot. I think reapers? I honestly can't remember, but I do really love the titles, not so much the covers.

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
So I don't know much about this book besides it's adult fiction, historical, and I think has already started winning awards? I've been hearing nothing but fantastic things and it does sound really good, it just came out in May, I think. So I might wait to get it in paperback, just because those adult hardcovers are expensive and I have so many books I need to be reading right now anyway.

Half a King by Joe Abercrombie
Haven't heard much so far, it's not out until mid-July, but I've heard amazing things about his adult books. And it's fantasy, high/epic fantasy, and people seem to be liking it. Added, don't know when I'll buy it / get around to it, though. But people whose opinions I trust have liked it so far.

Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld
I didn't know he was coming out with a new book until BEA and now everyone has copies of it. I will just have to wait - but it is huge and it sounds amazing and everything I've read by Westerfeld I've loved so far.

My Faire Lady by Laura Wettersten
This is kind of the odd book out of all of these, really, if you put all the covers side by side - you'd probably be like why is that one there? Well, because Laura is the LeakyCon RockStar liaison and I have been a RockStar all the years I've gone - and Laura is a fantastic person. I might have given it a try, anyway, just because I kind of really love the Renaissance Faire, and that is the setting for this. 

Adam by Ariel Schrag
I don't know much about this, I just saw a review from Judith on her blog PaperRiot (said review here). And it sounded really interesting - it's about a transgender character and apparently sex. And I've never read, or stumbled across, any books with a transgender main character, which is so awesome. But there might be one reason I don't get around to this book - and it isn't the talk about the sex scenes or anything - it's because his older sisters name is Casey, which is my name, and I just get so confused and tripped up reading books with characters with my name. It feels like such a silly reason to not read this book, but it's there. 

1 comment:

  1. I also participate in Friday Finds too. Thanks for sharing your list of new books. I came away with 14 books this week. Most of them free eBook downloads from Amazon. Here's a link to my Friday Finds: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2014/06/friday-finds-38.html

    Hey, don't forget to link back your post to MizB's site!!

    ReplyDelete