Thursday, June 12, 2014

Book and Audio Review: The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking #1)

Title: The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking #1)
Author: Patrick Ness
Genre: Young Adult (SciFi, Adventure, Dystopian)
Rating: 5/5
Page Count: 479 (Hardcover)
Publication Date: May 5th, 2008

Plot: (from Goodreads)
Prentisstown isn't like other towns. Everyone can hear everyone else's thoughts in an overwhelming, never-ending stream of Noise. Just a month away from the birthday that will make him a man, Todd and his dog, Manchee -- whose thoughts Todd can hear too, whether he wants to or not -- stumble upon an area of complete silence. They find that in a town where privacy is impossible, something terrible has been hidden -- a secret so awful that Todd and Manchee must run for their lives.

But how do you escape when your pursuers can hear your every thought?

Review:
I skipped between the audio and physical at first with this one.

Audio:
I was doing something and this was the random audiobook I chose, and it is a fantastic choice. The narrator is really good at doing the slight differences in voice and saying the words so you just know he's not quite thinking them right. And Manchee - my favorite was when he was reading that part. Or just other's peoples thoughts in general, it was so fun to read.

Physical/story part:
And then I switched over to just reading it when Dewey's read-a-thon hit, and I was dying to know what was going on, anyway, I couldn't wait. I finished this book in a few hours and just loved every minute of it, I don't know why I waited so long to read it, I think I've probably owned it since 2009.

There's a lot of things that made this book so good to me. The characters, first off, and how they grew throughout the story. They grew up a lot during the course of just this book, but not an unbelievable amount. And just the characters in general, even the 'bad' ones were interesting to learn more about and I can't wait to learn more.

Also, a big thing I wasn't expecting going into this book, was the suspense. It was so edge of your seat at points, which is probably why I would of gone to the physical even if there hadn't been a read-a-thon, because I had to know what was going to happen next.

Honestly, I think most people have read this series all ready - but if you haven't then I highly recommend giving this book a try. It's science fiction and it's amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment