Monday, April 18, 2016

April 18th | #genrethon wrap up

I ended up taking part in genrethon this week - which I made a post about earlier in the week - and I'm so glad I did because I really needed to give my reading a kind of kick. I didn't get as much reading done as I wanted to, but then again I never do. Is anyone else super hard on themselves in that area? I mean I'm hard on myself in all areas, but readathons I'm always just like 'could of read way more.'

Honestly, I'd just like to have never-ending readathons, all back to back. (The Booktube community seems to think the same because there's another themed one from April 18th - 24h, authorathon, probably won't take part because the end of that is Dewey's and I need to be ultra focused for Dewey's).

Books:
Five Nights at Freddy's: The Silver Eyes by Scott Cawthon, Kira Breed-Wrisley (5/5)
I am not an easily scared person with horror books, but apparently fear of animatronics can be terrifying even in writing, when you can't see the animatronics. Of course, I know exactly what they look like because of my obsessive watching of a let's play of this game - it's so good, the lore is so interesting, which was the main reason I read this. The fact it honestly scared me was just a bonus point for it (might have to do with reading it after dark, maybe don't do that - highly recommended otherwise).

Dimension, W: Volume 1 by Yuji Iwahara (5/5)
This was so good. I'd watched the first episode of the anime before realizing manga (duh, of course there's a manga). After reading this I accidentally marathoned the rest of the twelve episodes. Whoops, except it was fantastic. Next volume doesn't come out in the US until May, though, sadly - but that's okay. Technically, I don't have to read it because I know what happens, but also I do have to read it because so damn good.

The Type by Sarah Kay (5/5)
I'm not sure this should even count? it's a small, gorgeous little book of one of Sarah Kay's poems, illustrated. And it's amazing and gorgeous - if you don't know who Sarah Kay is, she's an incredible spoken word poet, go to youtube immediately - but it only took me two minutes to read. Well, four, because I immediately read it again (and then listened to read it because yes).

The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater (5/5)
Ah, this series, especially how this book seems to happen. I don't know what it is about it, because it's actually kind out a diversion from the story arc in general - but it also isn't? This whole series is just so good (The Raven King is so soon!!)

This is How You Lose Her by Junot Díaz (5/5)
I picked this up on a whim in a Barnes and Noble - I've heard a lot about his other novel, but next to nothing about this one. So I picked it up. And was not disappointed. I still can't put my finger on my I loved this book so damn, it might just because I haven't read anything like it in a while and the writing was just really enjoyable (it was beautifully written but not in a flowery language kind of way?)

Stuff:
The first thing on my mind is how close the release of The Raven King is. Is anyone else ready for that? I'm not ready, at all, my chest hurts when I think about it. That's one of the few series I've honestly fell in love with, and I'll be so sad when it's over. But it's also one I can probably reread, and relisten, to hundreds of times.

Besides that - I mentioned above next weekend is Dewey's 24 hour readathon, which I will probably put a post up later in the week (so I can include my TBR). I love this readathon. It's such a focused amount of reading time and it's so great to see everyone freaking out on twitter and such. I won't make it all 24 hours but I'd like to read for a good percent of the time I'm awake - but also spend time on twitter/such because that's a large part of the fun.

Anyway, all of that is for a post all about the readathon. If you're going to be participating, though, feel free to let me know!

I've been logging my time - which is and isn't a good thing to do - which started because a few weeks ago I was trying to log how long I spent reading (hello finally using a time logging app I had downloaded). So update for you, this week I spent 8 hours, 48 minutes reading, which I'm very pleased with.

Besides that it's been a pretty quiet few weeks here, which is exactly what I wanted. Though, I'm honestly looking forward to locking myself in my apartment for the weekend to read. What have you been up to?

No comments:

Post a Comment