Tuesday, July 4, 2017

June 2017 | Monthly Wrap Up

June was a hell of a month - I forget how busy summer gets. There was BEA and then friends visiting and me going to NYC to visit friends/book even for friend. Oh and my birthday, my moms birthday. It's a tad bit of a crazy month.

I did, however, find a new bookstore that's like twenty minutes away and glorious, I love it a lot. I can't wait to go back, I'm dying to but also want to try and read some of the things I bought before going back. But also want to try and dive into the pile of ARCS I have from BEA. Oh and all the books that've come out in the last few months that I haven't gotten to yet. Does anyone else have this problem?

Now, onto what this post is actually suppose to be about, what I read in June.

Books:

  • 27 Hours by Tristina Wright (5/5)
  • Wallbanger by Alice Clayton (3/5)
  • Lord of Shadows by Cassandra Clare (3/5)
  • Tash Hearts Tolstoy by Kathryn Ormsbee (4/5)
  • Not Your Sidekick by C.B. Lee (4/5)
  • On Thin Ice by Dana Burkey (2/5)
  • A Thousand Morning: Poems by Mary Oliver (4/5)
  • Timekeeper by Tara Sim (4.5/5)
  • Dreadnought by April Daniels (5/5)
  • Strangely Beautiful by Leanna Renee Hieber (5/5)

First off - I've been spewing love for 27 Hours around the internet since I finished it and it's not out until October. On one hand, I feel bad about that, but it is worth the wait. And I will continue to spew love for it (and have a review up closer to the release date).

Lord of Shadows was just meh for me - I didn't care about Julian/Emma as much, but did care about Cristina/Mark/Keiran. My new OT3, please let it be a real thing that's going to happen.

You might be seeing a theme in my reading. It was Pride month, of course, so I was trying to read as much LGBTQIA+ books as possible. And, trust me, I am not lacking in books I own with those themes (though I am always looking for me, rec me some). And, honestly, most of the straight stuff I read wasn't that great this month - except for one, which we'll get to.

Tash Hearts Tolstoy was so damn good, and also adorable, and I want to read more ace characters, I need them in my life. Not Your Sidekick was really damn good, as well, and I cannot wait for the next one. I really can't wait to see from Bells' perspective. Timekeeper - okay, so the ship in this is without a doubt adorable, but also the world is so interesting? And we get to see, more close up, how the time magic works and I was like loosing my mind, I cannot wait to get my hands on boo two. I highly recommend all three of these - hell, all the queer books I read this month were four to five stars, obviously I'd recommend them.

Dreadnought. I want to write a full review of this one - I'm not trans so I'm currently planning to link to at least one review by a trans female reviewer. I loved this book, though, a whole hell of a lot. I bought it and immediately started reading it and kind of never wanted to put it down? The way it ended was bonkers and I need more. I wasn't going to mention this until my full review but one of my favorite things was how angry Danielle is - the female rage is real. And also the feelings in general? I don't know, I just - I loved it?

And last, but not least, Strangely Beautiful. This series has a lot of nostalgia for me and is written by a friend, but that doesn't affect my opinion of this. The first time I read anything of Strangely Beautiful was right after meeting Leanna at a signing that we went to to hang out with Robyn and there was pretty much just us there. This book is richly written and, of course, gothic. It's definitely a romance, though, above all else. I love it, though, and love our cast of characters. I'm a sucker for a group of friends and their banter. Also a twist on the Persephone/Hades myth.

If you've read any of these, let me know. Have recs based on what I read. Or, of course, did your own wrap up - especially, but not only, if you tried to focus on LGBTQIA+ books as well - link me in the comments!

On the Blog:

May 2017 | Monthly Wrap Up
#30DayBookBinge Challenge + June Reading Plans
Top Ten Tuesday: Top 2017 Reads (so far)

No comments:

Post a Comment