Thursday, July 12, 2012

Book Review: A Game of Thrones

Book: A Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Author: George R.R. Martin
Genre: Fantasy
Rating: 5/5
Page Count:
Favorite Character: Uh, erm, uh... Tyrion, we're going with- Oh or Daenerys.

Plot: (From Goodreads)

In a land where summers can last decades and winters a lifetime, trouble is brewing. The cold is returning, and in the frozen wastes of the north of Winterfell, sinister and supernatural forces are massing beyond the kingdom's protective Wall. At the center of the conflict lie the Starks of Winterfell, a family as harsh and unyielding as the land they were born to. Sweeping from a land of brutal cold to a distant summertime kingdom of epicurean plenty, here is a tale of lords and ladies, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and bastards, who come together in a time of grim omens. Amid plots and counterplots, tragedy and betrayal, victory and terror, the fate of the Starks, their allies, and their enemies hangs perilously in the balance, as each endeavors to win that deadliest of conflicts: the game of thrones.

Review:
It took me a while to get through this book just because of the sheer amount of information you get while reading it. So much happens in this book and it's told perfectly, there is just so much plot all of time, it never gets lost because of a subplot, they're all main plots. And I loved that. George R.R. Martin doesn't give you any detail you don't need or want to know. He doesn't have this beautiful writing style, by any means, but his writing is perfect for a story of this size.

I think the reason I loved it so much is because of the different perspective we get. There are so many of them and the story really doesn't truly have one main character, just because they all get equal time, really.  I loved all of these characters, too, you can't help it. I think it's because they just seem so real. Anyway, to the point, characters were amazing and were more real then I expected.

The world building. Just, the world building. This doesn't feel like a world that starts when you open the book, I feel like it just keeps going even when you're not there. It's a very lived in world, I feel like is the best way to say it. It feels like these characters just could be off living in Winterfell or Kings Landing. So, to sum it up, I was extremely impressed with the world building and how lived in that world felt, I don't feel like I've ever experienced anything really like it.

Also, not everything in this book is black and white, it's very grey. It's not just good verse evil, it's much more then that, and sometimes you don't really know who is good and who is evil. And I love that. I love not really knowing if I should love this character or that character as much as I do, but still loving them anyway. It's a place that not a lot of book go, that grey area of good and evil. I think because it's grey and unknown, but it truly is a wonderful way to read about these characters.

Anyway, though, I really did enjoy this book and I can't wait to read the next one. To sum up what I thought: the plot was amazing and intricate, characters were amazing, and the world felt very lived in. I feel like this is a series that is just crazy, really, some of the plot lines that it follows are just creepy or amazing or both. However, I'd recommend this to anyone, unless you don't like fantasy, and don't be daunted too much by the sheer mass of this book, it's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment