Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Book Review: Pride and Prejudice

Book: Pride and Prejudice
Author: Jane Austen
Genre: Romance, European Literature(British)
Rating: 5/5
Page Count: 334 (Mass Market Paperback)
Favorite Character: Definitely Elizabeth, I just adored her. (I mean Darcy is obviously amazing as are most of the characters, but...)

Plot: (From Goodreads)
When Elizabeth Bennet first meets eligible bachelor Fitzwilliam Darcy, she thinks him arrogant and conceited; he is indifferent to her good looks and lively mind. When she later discovers that Darcy has involved himself in the troubled relationship between his friend Bingley and her beloved sister Jane, she is determined to dislike him more than ever. In the sparkling comedy of manners that follows, Jane Austen shows the folly of judging by first impressions and superbly evokes the friendships,gossip and snobberies of provincial middle-class life.
(This is from the Penguin classic page, which is also where the cover came from, because both things on the mass market left much to be desired).

Review:
I wasn't sure if I liked this book and at first, I didn't. It starts off pretty slow, but takes off quickly. I adored this book, as you can tell from my 5/5 rating, but I really didn't think I would. I've not read many classics, and this was my first Austen, so I just didn't know what to expect.

Jane Austen has this way of writing that, for a women of her time, I just didn't expect. She's smart and funny and it shines through the characters. Elizabeth is an amazing main character because she isn't going to marry because of duty, she wants to, if she has to, marry for love.

If you haven't read Pride and Prejudice, what are you doing with your life? And if you didn't like it, if you did read it, I'd really like to know why, because I honestly don't see how you could outright not like it.

(Also, there's a thing happening on YouTube that is P&P turned modern and as if Elizabeth was vlogging (video blogging) through the whole thing. It's called The Lizzie Bennet diaries and it's amazing so far, completely. You should check it out. First episode here).


No comments:

Post a Comment