Monday, January 20, 2014

2014: Book Reviews (1)

So I started the "year in review" thing last year, in 2013, really late and I didn't stay on top of it enough, but this year, I'm starting early and am going to try and keep up. Even though I have already read a truly ridiculous amount of books this year.

Infinity Blade: Awakening (Infinity Blade #1) by Brandon Sanderson (5/5)
I really liked this, even though I didn't know it was connected to a game until later, but I really enjoyed the story in this. It was pretty short, but it had a lot of stuff packed into it and had a huge twist at the end that I didn't see coming, which was fantastic and of course a little awful.

The Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #2) by Laurell K. Hamilton (4/5)
This was, obviously, a reread. And it was kind of, honestly, weird to go back, I'm about halfway through the series now and Anita has definitely changed a lot, the whole world has change a lot, but it was fun to go back to the simpler days.

Hawkeye: My Life as a Weapon by Matt Fraction (5/5)
This was really good, I never really honestly got into comic books, probably because there isn't a comic store super close to me and no one I knew was really into it, not to say this was my first look into it. It was just different. And really good. I loved Clint (aka: Hawkeye) in the Avengers movie but he is about ten times better in this and just... fantastic, I'm hoping to pick up more when I can, I'm kind of on a self-imposed book buying ban.

Steelheart (Reckoners #1) + Mitosis (Reckoners #1.5) by Brandon Sanderson (5/5 - both)
I loved this book and it's little accompanying short story/novella. It was a dystopian novel set in what I believe is Chicago, but it was so fresh and different and new, there was just something about it, I didn't even realize that it was dystopian until I tried to describe it to someone. The characters are fantastic, the plot is great, the writing at some points is just perfect in that it's hilarious. And there is a full review of Steelheart from me right here.

Interworld (Interworld #1) by Neil Gaiman and Michael Reaves (4/5)
I liked this. It was missing something that I still can't figure out, but I did really enjoy this book. I will probably pick up the second one at some point (is it in paperback yet? I want them to match. And hardcovers are expensive). Anyway, really good, check it out if you like this kind of weird, urban fantasy, dimension jumping fun.

Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter Series #1) by Nalini Singh (4/5)
This was a reread, I don't know why I actually picked up this book to reread, I think because I was watching something and they were talking about angel books and my mind went to this and it was available on Overdrive, so I read it just in a few hours one night. It's - good, it's kind of definitely one of those guilty pleasure books of just kind of the equivalent of junk food or something.

Egghead by Bo Burnham (5/5)
This is kind of linked to his new show what. Or, it should be because he does read a couple during that show. This is just - fun and hilarious. They can be immature or insanely deep. I've been following Bo for a lot of year, I really like his stuff, and he's from Boston, which is awesome. It's a good book and you could probably just read it standing in the bookstore, it's all poems.

Attack on Titan, Volumes 1-3 by Hajime Isayama (5/5)
I'm just lumping these together because I'm not going to spoil anything, obviously, for any of them. This is a really great series and there is an Anime, too, of course, which appears to be just as good. I've read more then seen at this point, just barely, but still. It's a crazy dystopian world and it's action packed, so fast passed, and the characters are awesome and mostly all of them are all badass.

No comments:

Post a Comment