Wednesday, July 11, 2012

WWW Wednesday (6)

I haven't done one of these in a while! This is weird but I like it. The reason I haven't done one of these in a while is because (1) i was away with no internet and (2) I wasn't reading. But now here is everything I am currently reading, want to read, and might read next since my last WWW Wednesday. Warning: will be a long post.
(You should all know by now that WWW Wednesday is hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading, as you can see in that little picture over there).


Currently-Reading:
I'm about 50% through Enders Game and Fahrenheit 451 and hope to finish both soon, this month at the very least.

Read:
Soulless, The Manga Vol. 1 by Gail Carriger (author) (5/5)
This is, obviously, the Manga version of the first book in the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger and is amazing, I really enjoyed seeing this book in a different media. I love this series and think that Alexia is kick-ass and one of my favorite heroins for sure. I'd recommend reading the books first, because I feel like you get more from them. (Maybe 16+, because this is not a YA book, but I'm sure you all know your limits).

The Land of Stories: The Wishing Well (The Land of Stories #1) by Chris Colfer (3/5)
This is the fabulous Chris Colfer's debut middle grade book that continues the fairy tale stories that we all know and love, or hate, through these two twins who make their way into the fairy tale world. I really liked this book, the writing felt a little weird at times, but it is a debut and I still really liked where he took it, so I'd recommend it. My full review here.

A Mutiny in Time (The Infinity Ring #1) by James Dashner (5/5)
This is a book about two best friends who somehow stumble upon a device that, with some help, can travel in time and, of course, shenanigans and adventure go from there. I'm really excited about this series and can't wait to see what happens next. This is a middle-grade, also, and an extremely well written one for that. Full review for this one will be posted closer to the release date.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone #1) by Laini Taylor (5/5)
Why did no one force me to read this sooner? I'm sure you all heard the buzz about this one when it first came out last year and it definitely lived up to it, an amazing read and anyone who hasn't read this one should, though I imagine most of you have, I'm probably the last person to. This is YA and was a debut last year. My review can be found here.

God Save the Queen (The Immortal Empire #1) by Kate Locke (5/5)
I raved about this one already on twitter and in my review, but I'll do it here, too. I adored this book, loved it to pieces. It's so different from other books I've read, definitely different then other Steampunk. I'm not going to tell you anything about it, just go ahead and jump in. The history that's incorporated is one of my favorite parts about this series. This one isn't YA or middle-grade either, so keep that in mind.

Grim by Anna Waggener (4/5)
This is a debut about a women, Erika, who dies and then ends up kind of trapped in limbo. She has three kids and she doesn't want to leave them and this book is amazing and tragic and a beautifully written YA debut. I hope to post my full review very soon, probably this week or next.

Desperate Duchesses (Desperate Duchesses #1) by Eloisa James (3/5)
This is NOT my normal book, as I'm sure you've noticed, but it was for a book club I'm part of and I did end up really enjoying it. Sometimes it's nice to read something that doesn't have a dark undertone and is just fluff, like brain candy. This was my first historical romance, and I think the reason I enjoyed it as much as I did, is because Eloisa James' writing is just so very good, I enjoyed it at least. (Definitely not YA, also).

The Iron Duke (Iron Seas #1) by Meljean Brook (3/5)
This was an interesting book. This one was also Steampunk, but completely different then God Save the Queen. I didn't enjoy this one as much as I enjoyed the second one, but I'll probably post a full review on this one to explain why.

Heart of Steel (Iron Seas #2) by Meljean Brook (4/5)
It says this on and Iron Duke are part of the same series, but they are about two different couples. They're in the same world and know each other and everything, but completely different perspectives. I enjoyed this one so very much, maybe because the main guy of the story was so much... better. Both of these, by the way, aren't YA but they are good Steampunk (and romance) books





Kushiel's Dark by Jacqueline Carey (5/5)
I adored this book. It was long and filled with intricate politics, but it also had an amazing plot and amazing (and heartbreaking) characters. This is definitely not a book everyone will enjoy, I have no doubts of that, but it's beautifully written and I really did enjoy it.






Might Read Next:
Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey
I really need to start this one. It's for a book club and it's gigantic. It looks really good, though. It just may take me a while to get through.

No comments:

Post a Comment