Monday, January 12, 2015

January 12th | Weekly Wrap Up #4

Week two of 2015 is over and done with! Which is strange to think, it still feels like just last week was 2013. Obviously, I do not have a good way of keeping track of time in a good way.

Reading: (finished this week and actively currently-reading)
Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant by Tony Cliff (3/5)
I liked it and originally rated it 4/5, but looking back - it was just fun, there was nothing really special about it. It was cute and I liked the art style (and Constantinople, anything set there, I will read. Though, I haven't found anything, I should look harder).

The Truth is a Cave in the Black Mountains by Neil Gaiman (4/5)
Very - strange. I liked it, but it didn't feel like a Gaiman story? Normally when I read his stuff, I can hear his voice in my head (which sounds weird, but he has a very specific way of writing/talking). I still enjoyed it, though, and the art style was different, as well, maybe that's why threw me off so much. I don't know.

The Library of Unrequited Love by Sophie Divry (3/5)
I feel like I should of read this slower, even though I stopped myself halfway through. It was stream of consciousness, like? But more like being lectured by a slightly strange, rather stern and opinionated librarian. It was very strange, but I definitely enjoyed most of it. It was a strange concept and I feel like some parts of it lost stuff in - still, it was alright.

Ouran High School Host Club, Volume 1 & 2 by Bisco Hatori (5/5)
Ourannnnnnn. OURANNNN. There are some things that are made to be fangirled over - and this anime was one of them and so is the manga, so far. I'm so excited to read more, but I also don't want to burn through them in a few days? But I want more...

Horrorstör by Grady Hendrix (4/5)
I really liked this - creepy and weird and full of an impressive amount of torture methods (that last thing was actually a comment I made to my mom. I was like: I like the torture methods in this! Wait... Writer problems...?)

Wayward #3, #4, #5 by Jim Zub and others (5/5)
This series is fantastic, and I'm going to be impatiently waiting for it to start up again. The art is gorgeous, the characters have a fantastic sense of style and are all just as interesting, and the mythology used is incredible (and I'd highly recommend getting the single issues, even if you aren't normally one for them, primarily for the essays in the back about Japan mythology/culture that's used in the story).

The Wicked and the Divine #6 by Kieron Gillen (5/5)
I'm loving this series and am excited for this new story arc (and mildly terrified of what's to come).

East of West: The World & #16 by Jonathan Hickman (6/6)
I started by reading the first three trade paperbacks and now it's just started up again! The World was kind of like a refresher and the firm timeline of everything leading up to what started in this series (also backgrounds on the different power places and their leaders/political problems). And then #16 was a continuation of the story - and I remembered why I freaking love this comic to pieces. Also highly, highly recommended.

Lock In by John Scalzi (5/5)
Ah, Scalzi. I knew I was going to like this one, so I felt comfortable picking it up. (And, Wil Wheaton does the audio, if you're curious. Or Amber Benson. Win-win situation there). I'd suggest reading the prequel, I think it's available on Tor for free - you won't be lost, not reading it, but I liked having the extra background.

The Way of Shadows (Night Angel #1) by Brent Weeks (5/5)
This book has a really high rating on goodreads for a book I'd honestly never heard about before I saw someone talking about it on a forum and ended up buying it. It was good. It was really fucking good. It doesn't kick off with action o page one, but I didn't expect it to. I've heard people think it's slow? Definitely, for the first third or so - but as soon as the action picks up, there's not a quiet moment. And there's not really a standing still moment in the whole book. I adored it. It is definitely darker then some fantasies, though.

What I've Been Watching:
Both this and the blog posts might be a little far and few between at points, like this week, where I totally forgot to keep track/it was a read-a-thon and I was mostly reading. However, I have some things to share!

Book Riot I have a feeling is going to be seen about. I just found this video from October and it's making me think of a possible video about reading diversity. On Reading Diversely: Personal Observation

Learn ASL in 31 days: Day One - okay, this is super cool. I am really excited about trying to learn some ASL.

2015: The Great Captioning Project - this is a really good idea and, actually, kind of related to the video above!

And now Achievement Hunter / RoosterTeeth. Definitely not a group of people for the young children, but I think.... 14/16 up should be fine. However, if you're offended by strong language and such, just pass over this one. I recommend all their stuff, but this week/such: Let's Play - Mario Party 8 Goomba's Boardwalk Part 1 & Let's Play Minecraft - Episode 137 - Bingo

Blog Posts I've Liked:
Let's Speculate: When You Have the Worst Kind of Problem - as a mood reader, this speaks to me. It's a short little post, but SO TRUE. I can be indecisive, too.

Book Review: Easy - I keep hearing about this book recently. I think I"m going to check it out soon. (Soon a bit relative because of my book buying ban thing).

Because I Am A Girly-Girl... | #BookLooks (1) - this is a different idea and it looks like a ton of fun!

The Month of the Silvers: 10 Reasons why you should read the book - I own this book and I'm loving what I've seen so far of the month of this book thing that's happening. And I'm hoping I can read it very soon, this year soon.

On the blog:
(Day seven is going up today too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment