Friday, January 15, 2016

2015 Favorites | Single Issues (currently running + other)

I did a post back in October about my pull list for single issues, basically just what I was getting and into (which you can find here). Favorites, though, is a whole different thing, and a much more condensed thing.

First off, I'm going to mention one that was a limited run, but I haven't read the last one (or the last two, I don't remember, I kind of need to organize the single issues, also very behind). Anyway, that's Captain America: White by Jeph Leob, Tim Sale. I haven't ready any of their other 'color' series, but I was really interested in this one because Steve, but also because I hadn't read anything that had stuff about their time fighting together in world war two, and this Bucky and Steve have a different dynamic then the movies. And it's interesting, and horribly sad, I think I've, at the very least, teared up at every issue. And I guess I'll just mention the two other Marvel titles here.

Spider-Gwen by Jason LaTour, Robbi Rodriguez
I'm kind of surprised this one is on the list, because I gave most of the beginning issues 3/5, but for some reason it just stuck with me. I love the idea, first of all, of Gwen being the one that was bitten. Also love the band part, and her costume is kind of damn gorgeous.

Black Canary by Brenden Fletcher, Annie Wu
I've been loving this series, and I'm not all together sure why but I am. It's so much fun, just plain and simple, it's just a lot of fun. And I started it because I read the first trade of Batgirl earlier and then this was coming out, and I was like... well, I might as well give it a shot. And I really like all the characters, the arts bright and fantastic, and it really is just a lot of fun

The Wicked and the Divine by Kieron Gillen, Jamie McKelvie, +
I've mentioned this one a time or two... everywhere, really. And I just can't take the time to list all of the artists they had this year, because they had quite a few different ones filling in at points, but they were all fantastic. And shit went down in this comic this year, it really just doesn't stop, and I cannot wait to see where the hell it's going (I'm an issue behind, actually, must read).

Wayward by Jim Zub, Steve Cummings
I've also been singing praises for this one since it started and I started reading it, in all honesty, and it's just so damn good. I love the lore that's behind it, and the essays in the back about certain things in Japan history or mythology that's linked to the story. And the art is gorgeous. Cannot wait to get to read more (actually, I also think I'm an issue behind in this one, December was a bit crazy).

RunLoveKill by Jonathan Tsuei, Eric Canete
So 4/8 of the issues came out this year, and now they're on hiatus. No idea when they're starting up again, but I hope they do period. This is so different and so gorgeous. I don't know what it is about the art that I like so much, but I do. And the beginning is set up like a movie intro. And she's some badass women on the run, I am here for that completely. First four issues were fantastic, trying to be patient as I was for more.

Injection by Warren Ellis, Declan Shalvey
This one snuck up on me. The first two or three issues were pretty good, but not really blowing my mind. And then it started to get really good, and now I am dying for more, this series is so good. I can't say anything because you don't know much those first few issues, and knowing is what makes it great. So don't look into anything, it's Warren Ellis (and Trees, Volume 1 was incredible), just go forth and try it (I think volume one of this is out now, or is out soon).

East of West by Jonathan Hickman, Nick Dragotta, Frank Martin
I almost forgot about this one, but just because I'm a few issues behind. I read the first three volumes of this one in 2014 and it is glorious and amazing - am considering switching back to trades, though. Because, while I love getting the single issues, the story line is a little too insane to follow sometimes issue to issue. I'm not confused yet, but I could be.... and the trades would look so pretty together, okay? Either way - four horsemen of the apocalypse, but not like you're use to, and it's incredible. I recommend this on (and Wayward, WicDiv) to everyone. This one can be confusing at points, but you've just got to take it slow. Highly recommended

Kaptara by Chip Zdarsky, Kagan McLeon
I went back and forth on putting this on this list, or just dropping it to the honorable mentions, but I'm going to leave it on. It's ridiculous, it's so damn ridiculous. In the best way possible. Zdarsky does Sex Criminals with Matt Fraction, and that was just a taste of his humor. This is - just so damn... it's ridiculous and amazing. And what the fuck for a good portion of it. Also the art is surprisingly amazing, I was impressed, it's so colorful and pretty. And ridiculous. If you like ridiculous things, then do I have the thing for you. (It takes place in space, there's some problems. Just check it out).

Honorable Mentions: Descender (loved it at first, but now it's a little eh. Considering dropping and getting the trades), Wolf (the first issue blew my socks off, now it's a tad eh, also might switch to trades)

No comments:

Post a Comment