Tuesday, May 2, 2017

First Quarter | Wrap Up, Goals Update

I haven't been posting monthly wrap ups so I thought I'd do that for the first quarter and then talk about how I am doing so far in relation to my 2017 goals (yes, this is a little late, but I'm just getting back into blogging. Better late then never, right?)

I've never done a quarterly wrap up - though I'd like to keep doing quarterly check ins to help keep me on track for my goals - so w are winging it. And this will be a bit more cluttered, hopefully, then future ones since I also haven't been doing monthly wrap ups and want to talk about what I read. (If you just want to see my goal updates, jump to the bottom, will be bolded)

Books:
  • Crush by Richard Siken (??)
  • The Screaming Staircase (Lockwood & Co #1) by Jonathan Stroud (3.5/5)
  • The Virgin by Tiffany Reisz (5/5)
  • Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli (5/5)
  • Sex Object by Jessica Valenti (4/5)
  • The Summer Palace by C.S. Pacat (4/5)
  • The Secret Lives of Rockstars by Suzanne Lazear (5/5)
  • The Queen by Tiffany Reisz (5/5)
  • The Melody of You and Me by M. Hollis (3/5)
  • Heir of Fire (ToG #3) by Sarah J Maas (2.5/5)
  • The Assassin's Blade (ToG #0) by Sarah  Maas (2/5)
  • Queen of Shadows (ToG #4) by Sarah J Maas (2/5)
  • Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo (5/5)
  • Binti by Nnedi Okorafor (4.5/5)
  • Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo (5/5)
  • The Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaValle (4/5)
  • Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha Lai (5/5)
  • My Year of Epic Rock by Andrea Pyros (4/5)
  • Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins (3/5)
  • Snapshot by Brandon Sanderson (4/5)
  • The Confessions by Tiffany Reisz (5/5)
  • Defying Convention by Cecil Wilde (5/5)
  • Queens of Geek by Jen Wilde (5/5)
  • Daughter of the Blood (Black Jewels #1) by Anne Bishop (5/5)
Graphic Novels
  • Adulthood is a Myth by Sarah Anderson (4/5)
  • El Deafo by Cece Bell (4/5)
  • Lumberjanes, Volume 4: Band Together by Noelle Stevenson, + (5/5)
Mini book talk:
Alright so I read some fantastic books - and also reread, with the Tiffany Reisz and accidentally rereading Six of Crows duology - and so I can't talk about them all here. I normally highlight a few, though, in monthly wraps up and I want to this time so I'm not mentioning rereads (I love them both, all the trigger warning for Reisz' Original Sinners series).

Binti I still don't know what to make of it because it took so many turns I did not expect? Like oh this is going to be a nice - nope, nope it's not, hello. However, I really enjoyed it? It was different and fresh and really damn interesting.

Sex Object i picked up on a whim because I'd heard it mentioned on, I believe, the book riot podcast. And it surprised me so much because it was so much different then what I expected? It was so raw and honest, and I have so much respect for her putting all of that out into the public. Holy shit. 

Both Inside Out and Back Again? More the first I think just because I listened/read it more in one go, and I had a lot of feelings.

Queens of Geek and The Secret Lives of Rockstars are both things I want to go back and read already - I might with the second one just cause. And Defying Convention was so god damn cute, honestly, highly recommended for the cute. 

Goal Updates

I read 24 books in the first quarter of the year, 3 graphic novels. Pretty much on track for 100 books for the year

#DiversityBingo2017 - so far I've read 7 (well 8 as I'm typing this but shhh) towards this. Not as many as I would of liked but more then I expected since I haven't been paying much attention since the end of January because health reasons. I'm going to try and make a bigger effort to make sure I'm reading books for the categories I probably won't hit naturally, which are only a handful but I don't want to worry about them.

Overall I'm pretty much on track to read 100 books in the year like I wanted, though I'd really like to read more graphic novels because I've only read three so far? How? I have so many I haven't read yet and want to, and so many coming out that I want to get to.

I haven't finished any series yet this year - have actually started series, but I know it's never going to end - but now that hopefully my health will even out, once again, I can stay more focused on that. It isn't as important to me, though, as the diversity goals and just reading in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment