Wednesday, January 17, 2018

#DiversityBingo2017 | Final Wrap Up

I'm not completely done with this challenge yet but I'm planning to finish it by the end of the year - and, if I can't, I'll be carrying into 2018 (technically not what the challenge is but I don't care, I still want to read the books I put for the prompts).

I did want to talk a bit about this challenge, though. The main reason I enjoyed it so much was that it really pushed me to do more and more research about diverse books. I was doing research about diverse books anyway and trying to figure out what I wanted to read, but this definitely upped the time I spent doing that - and also my TBR, whoo boy.

I don't think I'll do a specific thing in 2018 for diversity, just because it was kind of stressful? I'm a mood reader and so I'm bad at this kind of read a book with this, even though I can find a book in whatever genre and read that, but it's still just too much pressure for me.

I'm probably going to keep in mind a list of 10 or so diverse reads (mostly things I didn't get to this year, but own) and make sure to reach for those first before anything else, give those a try before anything else.

That is all for a post that'll be coming at the end of the month, though, about my 2018 reading goals. First I'm going to just list the ones I've completed and then the ones I haven't and my TBR for them.

(Notes: MC means main character, any other abbreviations I use that confuse you just ask!)

  • Romance with a trans MC - Coffee Boy by Austin Chant
  • NB MC (own voices) - Defying Convention by Cecil Wilde
  • practicing jewish MC - Knit One, Girl Two by Shira Glassman
  • MC w/ underrepped body type - So Sweet by Rebekah Weatherspoon
  • Neuro diverse MC - Queens of Geek by Jen Wilde
  • bi MC - Radio Silence by Alice Oseman
  • MC with anaphylactic allergy - My Year of Epic Rock by Andrea Pyros
  • pansexual MC - The Melody of You and Me by M. Hollis
  • black MC - Binti: Home by Nnedi Okorafor
  • PoC on cover - Binti by Nnedi Okorafor
  • d/Deaf or HoH mc - El Deafo by Cece Bell
  • immigrant/refugee MC - Inside Out and Back Again by Thahha Lai
  • MC on ace spectrum - Tash Hearts Tolstoy by Katherine Ormsbee
  • Non western setting - Want by Cindy Pon
  • diverse nonfiction - Queer, There, and Everywhere by Sarah Prager
  • hijabi MC - The Gauntlet by Karuna Riazi
  • West Asian setting - The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh
  • book by author of color - Don't Call Us Dead by Danez Smith
  • #ownvoices - Another Brooklyn by Jaqueline Woodson
  • biracial MC - Not Your Sidekick by C.B. Lee
  • mc of color in SFF - The Rose and the Dagger by Renee Ahdieh
  • LGBTQIA+ MC of color - Adaptation by Malinda Lo
  • free space! - even this page is white by Vivek Shraya
TBR - options for the categories I haven't finished yet (no authors names here because for some I'm putting more then one - any questions as to what the book is/who the author is, just let me know! And, if there's problems with any of my picks - future, or even past, just pleast let me know so I'm aware)
  • SFF with a MC with a disability - options: Otherbound, Chameleon Moon, Ascension
  • Indian MC - When Dimple Met Rishi 
  • displaced MC - Ramona Blue 
  • retelling with LGBTQIA+ MC - Ripped Pages
  • MC with invisible disability - Ascension (same as above), Dead Girls Society, Under Rose Tainted Skies
  • Latinx MC - Labyrinth Lost 
  • mc with chronic pain - Far From You, Ascension (still same, this book has a lot going on)
  • Arab MC - Saints and Misfits
  • MC with wheelchair - Push Girl 
  • Visually impaired MC - A Quiet Kind of Thunder, Not If I See You First
  • book set in Centeral America - The Book of Unknown Americans
  • Contemporary arranged marriage - Written in the Stars
  • Indigenous MC - If I Ever Get Out Of Here
I, honestly, am ashamed at some of the ones that I didn't end up hitting. However, I'm also sure that I've just forgotten books that fit in these categories - currently we're not even done with January and I've already read a book with a character with chronic pain do I don't know what's up. Which I've just realized, as typing this, could count for that challenge. 

Either way, I'm doubt I'm going to update again past this, but I wanted to talk about this challenge again because it was important to me. And I spent a lot of time researching books to read, and just ended up adding, and outright buying, so many books that it brought to my attention. And I'm so excited to finish up some of the challenges and read more of the others.

And, of course, I'm always focusing on reading more diversely in 2018. I also feel like this challenge has made me automatically look for those, under the general layer of publishers pushing the white, mostly male books in our faces. They're getting a little better about it, too.

Now I'm rambling, I might make a whole discussion about reading more widely/diversely. If you took part in that challenge, let me know, especially if you did a wrap up so I can see what books you picked up. 

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment