Monday, September 14, 2015

September 14th | Weekly Wrap Up #22

A weekly wrap up! Getting back into swing of things, and I think I'm going to do this only every week if I have a lot to talk about, and maybe every two weeks if I don't - but I'm glad to back doing them, regardless.

It was a weird two weeks, but I got some videos up on YouTube (both parts of my August wrap up are in my blog post the September TBR one is in the September TBR post)

Reading: (finished this week and actively currently-reading)
Cycle of the Werewolf by Stephen King (3/5)
This might be the first classic werewolf monster story I've read - I know, considering how much werewolf stuff I've read - and I just felt kind of eh about it. I guess I expect probably too much from King books, and it definitely had elements (the characters were surprisingly well developed for so few pages), but overall it was just - fine, okay, the illustrations were also just okay.

Uprooted by Naomi Novik (4/5)
On one hand, I loved this book - the world, the characters, the writing, how it kind of had some lines i just loved. But it wasn't perfect and I had problems with it and there were points that dragged for me. I think I said 'boring' somewhere, but that isn't exactly the right wording, it just was kind of eh then. Either way - I'd still highly recommend this book.

Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle #3) by Maggie Stiefvater (5/5)
I'm caught up on this series and what do I do with my life now? I love these books so much - I'm just in love with them, have been since the first one. I don't know what it is but it's just all encompasing and I'm fully aware I can't be objective about them. I love the characters, the writing, the world, the plot. All of the things in this book are so good, and exactly what I want. And I can see where it isn't for some people, I get it, but I'd highly suggest reading the first one, giving it a chance. People say it's confusing but I haven't been confused by any of the books, just go with it.

War-Fix by David Axe, Steven Olexa  (2/5)
I don't know how I feel about this, really. I picked it up on a whim for a few dollars, also to have a book I knew nothing about, and it looked interesting. But something about it was just off for me, even though it was very interesting. I can't even put my thoughts together about how I feel about this one.

Injection #4 by Warren Ellis, Declan Shalvey (5/5)
I feel like I'm starting to get a grasp on this series, understanding it more even though there's still a ton of unanswered questions. And I'm just loving it so damn much. I made a good decision picking this one up, pretty much for the title and then Ellis.

Descender #6 by Jeff Lemire, Dustin Nguyen (4/5)
Enjoying still, definitely a series to check out (I think the first trade should be due out soon, for you not single issuers).

Black Canary #3 by Brenden Fletcher, Annie Wu (4/5)
Why do I love this series so much? Because I want to be Dinah? Possibly, possibly. Definitely want her clothes, pretty much have her hair (sans fringe).

Wolf #2 by Ales Kot, Matt Taylor (4/5)
This one was not as action packed, what the hell I love it as the first one was, but I still really enjoyed it. And the world seems super interesting and cannot wait to read more.

Justice Calling by Annie Bellet (2/5)
Eh. It was better at first, but still not great, and by the end of it I was just kind of like bleh. The world seemed interesting, but for some reason it just fell really short for me. It was free, though, so I'm not too upset about that.

I meant to start and finish a few things this weekend, but it ended up being more crazy then I expected - there was a wizard rock house party/show. And then I ended up getting my last bookshelf moved into my apartment, hopefully the last of the books will follow. Currently reading The Things They Carried and Stonewall - ah, how slow I read non-fiction. Hoping to finish both this month, but probably not this week.

Stuff (music/videos/links/nonsense):
It's been a while since I've done one of these, so I don't even know what to put here. Well, I've been listening to Halsey's album BADLANDS on repeat for the past week and a half, maybe more. That's a thing.

Also found this really cool YouTube channel recently that does old timey covers of songs (favorite one).

YouTube videos: Bookish Pet Peeves, Markiplier Reacts to Teens React to Markiplier, Making of the Welcome to Night Vale audiobook, A Week of Videos: Overcoming Creative Apathy, #bookishseptember is here!!

I think since I've done one of these Book Riot has launched a podcast I adore called All The Books! which is about the weeks new book releases, highlighting four (sometimes more, chatting about books). (Also they've now launched their recommendation show which I totally forgot about until I want to go grab the link for this, it launched yesterday as I'm writing this, but this past Thursday for you guys - Get Booked).

On the blog:

No comments:

Post a Comment