Monday, December 29, 2014

2014: Book Reviews (17)

Part seventeen, I can't believe how far this little series has gone (and this is definitely not going to be the last part). Before I get onto any tangents - onto the books!

Chew, Vol. 2 & 3 by John Layman (4/5)
Oh man. I keep liking these more and more, great series.

The Wicked and the Divine #2 & The Wicked and the Divine #3 by Kieron Gillen (5/5)
This comic series, I'm going to end up also buying the bind up. It's just gorgeous and I love the colors, and the story/characters.

Old Man's War (Old Man's War #1) by John Scalzi (5/5)
A very interesting book and was intense as hell, at points, but also really funny. I highly recommend Scalzi, and I can't wait to read more books in this series.

172 Hours on the Moon by Johan Harstad (2/5)
I enjoyed the beginning of this book, but as it went on, I just... eh.

Half-Bad by Sally Green (2/5)
I enjoyed the flashbacks and such more then the actual story, and I don't think I'll be continuing on with the series. (Unless I forget how much I didn't like this one, which is possible).

The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle #1) by Maggie Stiefvater (5/5)
I loved this book more then I expected to. It made me squeal, which hasn't happened in a long time, being so blindly in love with a book.

Click-Clack the Rattlebag by Neil Gaiman (5/5)
A small little audiobook that was free on Audible for Halloween times. It was cute and creepy.

Hawkeye, Vol 3 + Up to #19 by Matt Fraction (5/5)
I love this series - it's fantastic and gorgeous. And I like this Clint, Kate, and the bad guys.

The Dream Thieves (THe Raven Cycle #2) by Maggie Stiefvater (5/5)
I was surprised at how much I loved this one, considering my love for the first one. I never thought a hug would give me so many feels - I love these characters, all of them. So much. Now I want to reread these and read the third one. Gah. (Saying that, I wrote this before rereading them, and now that I've reread them - I still feel the same, I might love them more. So freaking good, but also probably not for everyone with the writing style).

White Cat, Red Gloves, Black Heart (#1-3) by Holly Black (5/5)
I read these book back to back, and I definitely think it made me love it more, but also I was just in the mood for exactly this kind of thing.

Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle #1) by Dianna Wynne Jones (5/5)
I can't believe how long it took me to read this book, and watch the movie. This is one of those rare moments where I think I liked the movie more? But it's hard to say because I loved both of them, and I think I just think that because I saw the movie first (and Howl's castle was so cool in the movie).

No Plot? No Problem: Revised and Expanded by Chris Baty (5/5)
This is by the lovely creator of NaNoWriMo and it's about writing a book in a month, and I tend to read it every year. And this year I splurged on the new edition, which is signed if you buy it from the NaNo store. Highly recommended.

The Siren (The Original Sinners #1) by Tiffany Reisz (5/5)
I was pleasantly surprised by this, someone recommended it on a post (or to me, I can't remember). And it has pretty high ratings on Goodreads. (Not for younger or squeamish audiences)

Wallbanger (Cocktail #1) by Alice Clayton (3/5)
I wasn't expecting what this was, but it ended up being really cute and funny. I'm not sure if I'll continue on with this series, because I just liked how this ended, but we'll see.

Girl in Love (Kylie Ryans #3) by Caisey Quinn (2/5)
I don't want to talk about the fact that I finished this series, when I was only ever eh about it. These are the things I read at 4am, when I can't focus on worldbuilding and have less energy to be furiously annoyed at the immature way the characters act. Still - it's fun, I guess, which is why I continued with it.

Rock Chick (Rock Chick #1) by Kristen Ashley
I skimmed a lot of this book, I just did not enjoy it. It was boring, at first, a little ridiculous. And then the main love interest made me want to sit the girl down and explain to her that she was a person. And that's all I'm going to say, since I basically DNFed it with the skimming.

The Unknown Unknown by Mark Forsyth (5/5)
This is an essay about bookshops and the importance of them. I really enjoyed it, but I also think some of it was one sided in thought. Because, yes, real bookshops always expose me to stuff I've never heard of, but so do people. Or the internet - people talking about stuff in blogs, forums, videos. I'd of never found quite a few of my recent favorites if it weren't for the internet.

Jackaby by Will Ritter (5/5)
This book was a ton of fun. At the beginning, I wasn't too sure about it, and then I was just sucked in. The atmosphere was interesting, the use of supernatural creatures now often used, or used right (I was sold by a certain banshee, I loved that heart-wrenching depiction, it felt very real and horrible).




No comments:

Post a Comment