Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2014: Book Reviews (18)

This is going to be the last of this series, which is kind of sad. I'm glad that I did this, even though I have different plans for 2015. I hope your year has been great, and I wish you well for 2015. And now - the books.

The Raven Boys & The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater (5/5)
You might be having déjà vu, I'm having déjà vu. Yes, I reread these books less then a month after reading them for the first time. I wasn't reading anything and wanted to get myself back into it and I just love these books. It's the kind of thing where it I'm completely biased now and you cannot change my opinion about it for anything.

Percy Jackson's Greek Gods by Rick Riordan (3/5)
It was... good. It was cute at points or funny, but I guess since I knew about 85% of these myths, I was just kind of eh. Also - it felt like he was trying to hard, at points, to add in that zingy, silly PJ humor. Which I love, but the constant jokes about modern stuff made me want to hit my head against the wall.

The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes #1) by Colleen Gleason (3/5)
This was a lot of fun - steampunk, but with some strange elements. I did enjoy it, but I also wasn't crazy about it. I know there are reasons for it, mostly because I was bored for the first part of it and then wasn't really invested for the stuff. The stakes never felt high, even though they were.

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling (5/5)
It is no surprise I loved this book - it was witty and fun and ridiculously good. I'm so glad I ended up reading it and am definitely going to trust everyone more about these funny female memoirs.

The Girl from the Well by Rin Chupeco (5/5)
I loved the first chapter or so, just was like: yes, give me more, that was fucking awesome. But I wasn't really in a reading mood, so I didn't force it when I started to loose interests. and I'm really glad I didn't because it is a little slow at points. However - I don't think that's bad, it's just slower, and I really enjoyed this book.

The Queen of the Tearling (The Queen of the Tearling #1) by Erika Johansen (4/5)
A fantastic adult.... fantasy/scifi thing. I'd suggest not looking too much into it, if you want to read it, because I didn't and it was kind of a delight to find things out. It's slow at points and some of the writing can drag - but overall I loved this book, the story, and I'm looking forward to book two now.

The Young Elites (The Young Elites #1) by Marie Lu (3/5)
Good. I liked it. It was dark and strange, but it also dragged a bit, at points, or I just had trouble getting into it. I'm not sure why, but some things just jarred me out of the story a bit. Still, I'm definitely going to be continuing with this series.

The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes (5/5)
This book was fantastic - there's time travel, there's serial killers. There's random things brought up from history that are so obviously heavily researched and I loved that they were there - radium girls, for example, or underground abortion groups. It's very good and very dark. And I highly recommend it if you like, or don't mind, those kinds of things.

And that's it - that's the year. I'm not going to be reading anything else this year, a little surprisingly, but I am very pleased with what I have gotten done. Very pleased. I'll be posting all kinds of things the beginning of January - favorites, a yearly reading wrap-up, most anticipated for 2015. All kinds of things!

See you in the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment