Friday, December 5, 2014

2014: Book Reviews (14)

Part fourteen, last part ended up being the series one, mostly TMI and ID. And this part is going to start with a book that I read about six months before it released, I got an ARC copy at LeakyCon, and devoured it surprisingly quickly (it pulled me out of a mixture of 'TMI series is over slump' and post travel slump, I always have a hard time getting back into reading after traveling, no matter how long or where).

The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black (5/5)
I'm looking at my notes I wrote right after I finished it and the first thing I wrote was: "such beautifully strange perfection," which feels like a good description. I'm hoping to put a review up close to when this book comes out, hopefully I remember, I'd also like to reread it. It is beautiful and a lot of fun. I really like faeries, though, am possibly a bit of a sucker for them, so if you don't like them as much, you might not enjoy it as much. But I'd still suggest reading this - incredible, lovely.

Say Her Name by James Dawson (4/5)
I've always really liked Bloody Mary as an urban legend, so I was a bit suspicious of what this was going to entail. I ended up liking it - it was strange and weird, at points, and eye roll inducing at others. But overall I thought it had a good story, a good reason for Mary, and also a fantastic ending.

Anna and the French Kiss (Anna #1) by Stephanie Perkins (5/5)
I didn't expect to love this book - I've always been a little eh about the young adult contemporary I've read, but for some reason I just loved this. It was fun and strange and a little lovely. Not my favorite of the three, but I did love their story. And the setting, I've always wanted to go to Paris, and now I think I might bring this book along to go where they go in the book.

Mortal Danger (Immortal Game #1) by Ann Aquirre (5/5)
I had a few problems with this one (suspension of disbelief at the beginning) but when it started getting going more and I got more into the story - I just ended up really enjoying it. I don't know why, but I just got caught up in the story. I should probably of just given it 4/5 stars since I struggled with it at the beginning, but even when I was struggling, as soon as I got past page ten or so I flew through this book. (full review here)

Lola and the Boy Next Door (Anna #2) by Stephanie Perkins (5/5)
I think this was my favorite - I just love Lola and her clothes and wigs and personality. And I don't know why, but I had a lot of fun reading this one. Another place I've always wanted to go, not quite as unattainable as Paris, but still hasn't happened for some reason.

Unlocked: An Oral History of Haden's Syndrome by John Scalzi (4/5)
I haven't read Lock In yet, but I read this before Lock In even came out. And, obviously, really enjoyed it. It's short, only 68 pages, and just in the style of World War Z, but it's the actual official report of what happened, mostly, and I think it definitely adds something to the story, when a lot of the time prequel novellas can be hit or miss on goodness/importance to the story. Scalzi is a writer that I've learned this year that I adore.

The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles #1) by Patrick Rothfuss (5/5)
This book took me forever to read, but only because of it's length and it's a bit dense. The writing is beautiful, though, and I was listening to the audiobook on and off (the narrator was fantastic, I've never gotten hooked into an audiobook like this one before). (full review here)

Isla and the Happily Ever after (Anna #3) by Stephanie Perkins (5/5)
I really enjoyed this book and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I know other people haven't or haven't as much as the other two, and it definitely is probably my least favorite of the three but I still really enjoyed it. These two were sweet together and a little ridiculous. And the end was perfect.

My Drunk Kitchen by Hannah Hart (5/5)
I'm going to keep this short and sweet so I don't just start spouting love for Hannah, which is why I haven't, and probably won't, write a full review of this. This book is good, it's fantastic, and it made me laugh at multiple part. If you don't know who Hannah Hart is well.... YouTube Channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment