Monday, July 17, 2017

Short Book Recommendations | 24in48 Readathon

I've been meaning to post more recommendation lists and, I thought, this would be the perfect chance to post a list since it's the perfect chance to read some over the weekend for the 24in48 readathon (website for more information). It's a little last minute, sure, but most of the stuff I'm recommending is kindle based, anyway.

This is a long post so I've separated out genres with a lot in them. If you don't like romance/erotica then don't go there, or SFF/Fantasy - you get the idea. Also if you've got any recommendations for me, then please leave those in the comments! I'm always up for more books to add to my never ending TBR.

Romance/Erotica - my favorite super quick read for readathons

Coffee Boy by Austin Grant - short (60+ pages) of romance, there's a sex scene at the end that's pretty graphic but the only one. Kind of an enemies to lovers premise? Oh with a trans main character. Highly recommend checking this out even if not for this readathon, just in life. (goodreads)

Defying Convention by Cecil Wilde - this is super fucking cute? Two friends meeting (if I remember correctly, for the first time) at a convention and feelingssssssss. One is a bi trans man, the other is genderqueer/nonbinary. This story is so damn cute I couldn't handle it? (sex is also not as involved in this until the end) (trigger warnings: MC is dead named) (goodreads)

By My Fantasy duology by Alisha Rai - these are hot and kinky as hell, so far warning if you're not super into the sex thing. Super well written, though, and a lot of fun. Alisha Rai's a fantastic author (wouldn't know where to start with trigger warnings so be careful or just ask me in the comments/twitter and I'll get back to you ASAP) (m/f) (goodreads)

So Sweet by Rebekah Weatherspoon - this is the first in a series but I haven't read the rest. Girl is chubby and guy is older, and it's a 'sugar daddy' kind of situation but real feelings and I feel like it was handled super well? (about 100 pages) (goodreads)

Grinder by Samantha Whiskey - this is about hockey players and because of a certain webcomic (checkplease) I've been super interested. This also has a guy that's a single father and an adorable child - super damn cute romance (there's explicit sex but not erotica levels) (goodreads)

Club Shadowlands by Cherise Sinclair - this is has a little bit of dubious consent, I'd say but others might not agree? Either way, I super enjoyed it, it was was, one, hot as hell and, two, kinky as hell. Haven't read more in the series but I would like to considering how good this one is. (150+ pages) (goodreads)

SFF/Fantasy - some insanely good and short genre fiction

Binti + Binti: Home by Nnedi Okorafor - This is a SciFi novella series (I think just a trilogy, the third one comes out early 2018) and they go places I didn't see coming a mile away and are just incredible. The first ones about 90 pages, the second about 170. Both fantastic (series goodreads)

Forest of Memory by Mary Robinette Kowal - I read this months ago and I'm still not over how much is packed into less then 100 pages. Its incredible and my first read by this author, definitely should check this one out. (goodreads)

The Secret Lives of Rockstars by Suzanne Lazear - I read this the beginning of the year and loved it, considering rereading it (maybe for this readathon?). It's more YA leaning and steampunk and adorable as all hell. Highly recommend and I can't wait until we get more. (goodreads)

Love Beyond Body, Space, and Time: An Indigenous LGBT Sci-Fi Anthology - This anthology. I can't even explain how much I loved it? (And I'm not qualified to, so here's people who are: Nicole Field, Polenth Blake, Bogi) (goodreads)

The Emperor's Soul by Brandon Sanderson - this was one of the first Sanderson things I read and it's incredible. I'd definitely highly recommend checking it out, it's just so unique? (170+ pages) (goodreads)

Short audio - for giving your eyes that much needed break, also there are probably things you need to do that aren't reading (blasphemy)

The Dispatcher by John Scalzi - This was an interesting book, it was far from my favorite Scalzi, but I did enjoy it (3/5). It's really weird book about people not dying... correctly? Audiobook is 2+ hours and read by Zachary Quinto. (goodreads)

Legion + Legion: Skin Deep by Brandon Sanderson - a strange series of novellas about a man who solves mysteries with the help of his hallucinations. Though, are they hallucinations? These are super fun, and Sanderson. The first audio is about 2 hours, the second I think around 4. They're available both for listening and on ereaders. (series goodreads)

The Breathing Method by Stephen King - this was a weird as hell audiobook? And, actually, now that I'm thinking about it I think I want to relisten to it. Creepy, unsettling, fun read (maybe don't listen/read when it's night out?) (goodreads)

MISC -

The Machine Stops by E.M. Forester - An older one, that I listened to so that's always an option, but I really enjoyed this and wanted to know what the hell was going on so I couldn't stop listening until I knew. Surprised me how much I enjoyed this. (goodreads)

A Thousand Mornings: Poems by Mary Oliver - read this recently, so damn good. Only 96 pages and good as hell poetry. (goodreads)

Sex Object by Jessica Valenti - this was an incredible memoir and different then anything I'd ever, and probably will ever, experience. I didn't know about Jessica before reading this but I was blown away by how much she was willing to share of super personal experiences (trigger warnings: drug use, abortion, depression) (goodreads)

I had more I could of added but decided to not keep going forever. If you end up reading any of the ones I recommended then please let me know, I love hearing my book pushing ways are doing well. Let me know if you liked it or didn't, everyones different! And I hope, if you are taking part in the 24in48 readathon this was helpful (link me to where you're updating for it, if possible!).

Once again, if you want to recommend me anything based on this or just short things, feel free to because too many books isn't something I comprehend.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment