Monday, May 26, 2014

Musing Mondays (2): Reading Habits (2014 has been suspiciously good)

A meme hosted by MizB at Should be Reading. Musing Mondays asks you to muse about one of the following each week:

• Describe one of your reading habits.
• Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).
• What book are you currently desperate to get your hands on? Tell us about it!
• Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.
• Do you have a bookish rant? Something about books or reading (or the industry) that gets your ire up? Share it with us!
• Instead of the above questions, maybe you just want to ramble on about something else pertaining to books — let’s hear it, then!

This week, I think we're going to talk about reading habits. 2014, so far at least, has been a fantastic reading year for me. I've just gotten into it hard and have read a ridiculous amount of books so far, especially considering I'd been struggling to get to 50 or 100 in previous years (though, last year was also pretty good). 

Now I'm not really sure how I got past whatever was stopping me before, going on Tumblr less has probably helped, but I think I have an idea. I do this thing where, after I finish the "main" books I was reading, I'll have no idea what to read next and a weird thing happens. 

What happens is I'll read normally about 10-20% of a book, according to Goodreads, and then pick up something up, and I'll normally do that with about 2-5 books before I find what I want to read or what pulls me in the most. And then I have all these books I'm a bit into, that I can go back after finishing that one that caught me, and normally finish pretty easily. 

I've always read at just over an above average reading rate, but I think this is one of the best things I've ever accidentally done to keep me going onto the next book. Because that's normally my problem. I can get a book hangover or just not know what to do at all, and then I can go a week or two or a month without reading even a page, which has only happen for one period of time this year (and I was in Florida at a convention for some of it and had just finished what I'm sure will be one of the best books I will read this year).

Do any of you have odd reading habits? Maybe that you developed without meaning to? Does anyone do that thing where it's impossible to find a comfortable way to sit/lounge while reading some days?

No comments:

Post a Comment