Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Series Stuff (1) | All Finished Series (Through 2014)

I've been thinking about this for a while - about how there's so many questions about series. Which have you started? Which haven't you started? How many have you finished? Have you finished *insert popular series here*? And I was a little curious myself, I hadn't gone through and tallied everything, until now. Mostly because 2014 was such a good reading year for me that it made me even more excited to read and to talk about reading. First off, we're going to start with the series I've finished in this post (I was going to put it all of the information together, before realizing how freaking long the post would be.). I'm going to go by year, earliest to latest. (Also - I know there are probably some missing, I didn't always have Goodreads to keep a perfect track of everything. However, this is probably most of them).

Also, I'm going to put an overall series rating and I feel like I should put a disclaimer that some of these I finished many years ago, so it's fuzzy and I'm going off those fuzzy memories. I'd probably think a lot differently about quite a few of these series, giving how my reading taste has changed.
  • Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling (5/5, 7 books. Still obsessed, of course, finished 2007)
  • Twilight series by Stephanie Meyers (2/5, 4 books. My eyes have been opened to how abusive this relationship is, but it did get me into reading YA, which I didn't seem to know about until this series, finished 2008)
  • Fruits Basket by Natsuki Takaya (5/5, 23 volumes. I devoured these after marathoning the show with some friends, who were obsessed. It was a - we're going down with this fandom and bringing you with us moment. And I'm currently surprised at how much this series affected me, I just reread it in 2014. It's funny, smart, strange, odd, quirky, heart-wrenching, and wonderful. Highly recommended. ?? - middle school)
  • Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (I almost forgot this one completely, somehow, but I'm sure there are others I have forgotten. Anyway - really enjoyed this series, did not enjoy the epilogue of 3. Finished 2010)
  • Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr (4/5, 5 books. I love faerie books and these are dark and the second is what pushed my tattoo love to a slight obsession. I want to reread these books, finished 2011)
  • Percy Jackson by Rick Riordan (5/5, 5 books. A ton of fun and I love these characters, probably the first series I marathoned straight through. Finished 2011).
  • Strangely Beautiful by Leanna Renee Hieber (5/5, 3 books. I love this series, I might be a bit biased, looking back, as I read book one after spending a good chunk of time with Leanna, but these books are beautifully written, from my memory, and now I want to reread them. Finished 2011)
  • Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld (4/5, 3 books. Highly enjoyable and a lot of fun to read, and extremely interesting. I'd also love to reread this series. Finished 2011).
  • Midnighters by Scott Westerfeld (5/5, 3 books. I don't see a lot of people talking about this series, but I loved it and really want to reread it. It's a fantastic, somewhat strange, and bitterly sweet series. Finished 2011).
  • Spiderwick Chronicles by Holly Black, Tony DiTerlizzi (4/5, 5 books. Faeries, once again, and I marathoned this series during a read-a-thon, I believe, and it was a ton of fun. Finished 2013). (Also, did you notice a jump? Apparently I didn't finish any series in 2012? That's just embarrassing).
  • Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis (4/5, 7 books. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't enjoy this series as much. I gave most of them 5 stars, but reanalyzing what I remember, and seeing people talk about it... I had issues with the last book without thinking about it, they're just bigger now. It's still a good series, if you can ignore the heavy handed themes. Finished 2013)
  • Secret by Pseudonymous Bosch (5/5, 5 books. I'd kind of like to reread this one, I remember it being hilarious and a kind of ride of 'I have no idea what's going on but I like it?' But also figuring it out after just confusion at first. A good series, very funny and smart and great characters. Finished 2013)
And now are the series I finished in 2014, which will probably be the most amount of series I ever finish in a year because I'm still confused how this happened.
  • The Immortal Empire by Kate Locke (5/5, 3 books. Steampunk Victorian, with supernatural creatures of course. It was just - so good. And it's so pretty, the physical books but also the series. And I just kind of adore it).
  • Maus Duology by Art Speilgelman (5/5, 2 graphic novels. This is a different series then all of the ones on this post so far. This one is.... kind of awful? In an emotional way because it's draining and the art style probably isn't for everyone, but I really understood what he was trying to do. These graphic novels are incredibly sad, poignant, and just really, really good).
  • Boxers and Saints by Gene Luen Yang (5/5, 2 graphic novels. About a time I haven't ever really read about, with some magical realism elements. Very good, strong, and almost hopelessly sad at points).
  • Grisha Trilogy by Leigh Bardugo (4/5, 3 books. Russian influenced high fantasy with enjoyable characters).
  • The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare (5/5. 3 books. Maybe my favorite series of the year? It surprised me. If you've read book one and felt a bit 'eh,' I'd suggest not stopping at one, book two is what picked up for me (and I waited between trying the first time and rereading, so I'm sure it was 'perfect time' kind of thing). That's what I did and I ended up loving this series. And this series hurts, you fall in love with these characters and, somehow, the way their emotions and emotional pain is described is just physically painful, you can feel their own pain. I loved it, no idea why because ow).
  • Zita the Spacegirl by Dan (4/5, 3 books. Another graphic novel series, but this one is very different. There's a girl who finds herself on an alien planet and shenanigans ensue. It's a lot of fun and the characters are fantastic, and definitely not just the humans).
  • The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare (4/5, 6 books. I was a little surprised by this series in the end. I started it before the third book had come out, which was painful, and then I reread the first four in 2014 before continuing on. And it's so stupid at points, I'm sorry but they are they all so... teenager-y at points with their decisions and complaining, but I, overall, ended up enjoying it. They're fun, even if sometimes I wanted to strangle them).
  • Anna and the French Kiss companion series by Stephanie Perkins (5/5, 3 books. I didn't expect to like these books because I've never been the biggest contemporary fan. Even though I've met the author and heard her read her embarrassing journal entries from when she was 17 to a room full of people. I ended up loving this series, Lola was probably my favorite, but I love this kind of thing, with other characters popping up).
  • Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson (5/5, 3 books. I'm counting this as completed because it's the original trilogy, there are going to be two more trilogies in the same world, though. Anyway - fantastic series that will play with your emotions and wreck you. I highly recommend it).
  • Heroes of Olympus by Rick Riordan (5/5, 5 books. I think the only reason I wasn't disappointed by the last book was because Nico has been a favorite character I've always wanted to learn more about. Also - Soloangelo. Just read this series - doesn't really focus on the PJ characters, but they're there, and the new characters are pretty fantastic).
  • Curse Workers by Holly Black (5/5, 3 books. I read this series in like 7/8 hours and have no regrets. A fun, fantastic series - with characters with questionable morals, which I will fight anyone over who wishes they were moral).
  • Kylie Ryans by Caisey Quinn (2/5, 3 books. I'm kind of ashamed this is on the list. Not because it's a new adult series, but because of how much I didn't like the books but kept reading them. Why? Because I make bad decisions when I can't sleep at 4am and these are like 200 pages. I'd only recommend this series if you like the idea and don't mind characters not communicating about their feelings. It wasn't bad, I just wasn't really enjoying them? I don't know, I'm confused as well).
And those are all of the series I've finished so far, which doesn't feel like a lot, at the moment. 23 series - completed, some to be reread probably. I think I'm going to make two more posts in this kind of series thing, well that I have planned, I'll probably post an update at the end of the year of the series completed. Two more posts about (1) series I've started but haven't completed and then (2) about series I haven't even touched yet. I thought of doing another about series I won't be continuing with, but I'll just include them in the started one, make it much easier, I think, and hopefully more organized.

So series! What ones have you finished? Which ones overlap with mine? And - any series you'd like to complete ASAP? 

No comments:

Post a Comment