Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Can't Believe I've Never Read

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted over at The Broke and the Bookish.

This week is a freebie week, and I wasn't going to take part in it, but there are so many topics that've passed that I haven't been able to do. So, this week, I'm going to tell you about some books that I can't believe I haven't read yet.

  • The Hobbit/The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien - I honestly am slightly ashamed to have never read this, I own all of them (in more then one edition) and, obviously, I've seen the movies (probably too many times). I'd like to read them... soon, SOON. That's probably to be said about all of them.
  • Classics - I could go on and on about the classics I can't believe I haven't read yet, and I didn't want probably half the things on this list to be that. So, quickly, a few examples: 1984, more H.G. Wells, more Austen (I've only read Pride and Prejudice), any of Dicken's novels, and many, many more.
  • The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - I know, I know. I can't believe I haven't read this either, but I don't like sobbing during books and I know that this book is going to cause that. I'll get to it, I will, I'm just not sure when?
  • more Stephen King - I've read a good few books by King (IT, Bag of Bones, Duma Key, Carrie, The Gunslinger, Dreamcatcher, more), but there are some that I really need to get it. Mostly, I'm specifically thinking of The Stand, because it's considered so highly and I'm mostly slightly scared of the 1,200 pages (I'd just jump right in and read the extended edition, it's the one I own). And I want to read it and have started it before, but it's slightly... daunting, very daunting.
  • Sabriel by Garth Nix (and the rest of the series, of course) - but it's been quite a few years that I've wanted to read them, but I haven't do it yet. I don't know why, I own all three and the prequel just came out, but I think I'd like to finish some series before starting more (even though I'm kind of itching to start this one).
  • The Sanderson books I have left. I don't have many, but I still can't believe I haven't read those I haven't gotten to yet. Firefight, Legion:Skin Deep, Elantris, The Allow of Law, Words of Radiance (I know, I know), and the last two Alcatraz books. Not many, at all, and it's not like I haven't been working my way through his work. On one hand - I want to have read them all because I love his books (also - cosmere theories). However, I don't want to be out of his books to read.
  • Abbadon's Gate by James S.A. Corey - I loved this series and I honestly can't believe that I haven't continued on to books three and four yet. I kind of want to reread one and two now, before continuing, because I want everything to be fresh in my mind (also - TV series, this year, I want it now).
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth #2) by Terry Goodkind - I... haven't read this yet. I've read the first book twice but I haven't continued on, for some reason, and I really want to. I am also terrified to go past that part of their story. I don't know why, but I'm just scared. I mean there are over ten books in this series, too many things could happen.
  • Assassin's Apprentice (the Farseer Trilogy in general) - I've owned the first book for years and have never gotten to it. Now that I own the whole trilogy, I'm hoping that I can finally get to it. Books 2 and 3 get pretty hefty, but not too big. And I've heard fantastic things.
  • Gaiman - there aren't too much I haven't gotten to it, but I'm still surprised that I haven't gotten to it yet. Mostly, I'm talking about these few books: Neverwhere, The Graveyard Book, Anansi Boys, Smoke and Mirrors, and The Sandman series (I've read volume one, but haven't continued yet). Not too many of his to read, but I'm really looking forward to trying to get through them.
And there we go - there are, of course, hundreds of books that I haven't read yet that I'm surprised that I haven't gotten to. Although, any books I haven't read yet I go: why haven't I read that yet? WHY? Which is fine, but I want to read all the things. I believe it's a common problem among book lovers, but it definitely makes lists like this hard (why did I pick this?). I kind of just went with what popped into my head first - some of them are honestly why, other are just kind of not that surprising or continuations of series, but still.

So - what books can you not believe you haven't read to? Ones that everyone talks about or ones that have been on your shelves for so long they have their own specific place to sit?

Also, appropriately, a video just went up today called How to Bust TBR Guilt (book riot youtube channel).

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE The Book Thief. I haven't read the book in awhile but it is definitely unique and worth trying. You might have some tears though so be careful! I'm on the same boat as you for the Stephen King books. There are so many I want to read but I have to take some time in between his as they are all so intense! You know they are going to be golden though.. Great list!

    Here is mine this week :) http://busybrunettesbookshelf.blogspot.com/2015/01/top-ten-tuesday-books-i-want-to-reread.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't read The Book Thief yet and I have a copy of it sitting in my massive 'to be read' pile... So you're not the only one who hasn't read it yet! Here's my TTT post for this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/01/top-ten-tuesday-authors-id-like-to-meet.html

    ReplyDelete