Thursday, September 18, 2014

Book and Audio Review: The Name of the Wind (Kindkiller Chronicles #1)

Title: The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles #1)
Author: Patrick Rothfuss
Genre: High Fantasy
Rating: 5/5
Page Count: 722 (mass market)
Publication Date: March 27th, 2007

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Innkeeper Kote narrates most of his tale to the Chronicler. Kvothe, when his family troupe of traveling players is massacred, spends years starving, beaten beyond count, in a crime-ridden city, then daringly enters a legendary school of magic.

Review:
I started this book one day by randomly starting to listen to the audiobook and got completely sucked in. I have a lot of problems with audiobooks, normally I can't focus on them to save my life - but there are just certain narrators who suck me in. This one, Nick Podhel, was amazing, completely fantastic. His voice and Rothfuss' words were perfect together.

I half-read, half-listened (I think more towards physical), and I kind of wished I'd been able to listen to more of it, but I enjoyed it in both forms a lot. Even though it took me forever to finish - because I was enjoying it and it was really, really good, but it's dense and long. It's beautifully written, poetic and beautiful, but it makes it a slow read. Although, I don't think that's a bad thing because I enjoyed being able to take my time with this, not rush through it, just - enjoy it and relax.

The story itself is incredible - the characters, the plot, the storytelling - and I found myself not sure if I wanted Kvothe to keep telling his story or if I wanted to read about him and Bast and Chronicler in 'present times.'

Overall thoughts? Read this book. My physical copy has one of my favorite stories behind it* and it's a fantastic and fantastical book, and I don't think you should know more then that.

*we were in Portland, in Powells in 2013 (LeakyCon) and there was this guy trying to get a girl to buy Ready Player One. And, as we were walking by, I added (as did Haley) that it was a fantastic book and she should read it. And he immediately turned and went "have you read The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss?" and I told him no. And he told me to go and read it and I wouldn't regret it because it was phenomenal. So... I did, my copy has the Powells price sticker on the back. Thank you, random book recommending stranger.

No comments:

Post a Comment