Monday, April 27, 2015

April 27th | Weekly Wrap Up #17

This was definitely a good week. It felt ridiculously long, but I'm really pleased with what I got done. There was some rereading and an awesome read-a-thon. And, considering that, we're just going to go straight into the books because that's all that happened and it'd be a long post if I rambled (more then I am).

Reading: (finished this week and actively currently-reading)
IT by Stephen King (5/5)
A reread. (For the... 20+ time? I don't think I'm exaggerating, if I am it's not by much). God, I love this book. As I love all of King's work that I've read so far, which is less then I'd of liked because I keep going back and rereading what I've already read.

Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli (5/5)
So cute, oh my god. I've got a minor problem with some of the things this MC thinks in the beginning, but he's a teenager. Also - it's fluffy fun, alright?

Predator: Fire and Stone by Joshua Williamson, Christopher Mooneyham (3/5)
Eh. This whole event is really strange and really interesting, but they're a little throwaway? Still enjoying them, but also I'm not too fond of the guy that's the MC in this one, bit of a dick.

Birthright, Volume 1: Homecoming by Joshua Williamson, Andrei Bressan (4/5)
I was getting this in single issues, but for some reason wasn't reading it. I don't even quite remember why, it just looked really interesting, and I was not disappointed. I adored this, seriously, completely adored.

Ask the Passengers by A.S. King (5/5)
I really, really enjoyed this. I wasn't sure what to expect, going into it, I just knew some stuff. And I was really pleasantly surprised, and I also think this is a great place to start with this author (having only read two of her books, this being the first, I'd take that with a grain of salt), but it seems to have less magical realism then some of her others - more on that in a few books.

Sex Criminals, Volume 2: Two Worlds, One Cop by Matt Fraction, Chip Zdarsky (5/5)
I already knew I was going to read anything Fraction put out ever - ha, put out - but I'm thinking that officially includes Zdarsky as well. God, this series is good, and I get the feeling it is just getting started and is going to be really fucking good. I'm seriously excited and it's so good. If you don't like dick jokes, you won't enjoy this, but it's also way more then that - it's much deeper, stop laughing, and surprised me at a few points. It's definitely a step up from volume one, and I adored volume 1.

Ms. Marvel, Volume 2: Generation Why by G. Willow Wilson, Jacob Wyatt (5/5)
Superheroes and commentaries on the world - and not just that. An MC POC badass female superhero who is smart, sure of herself, and unapologetically a teenager of the 21st century. I love her, I really do, and I love the other characters, too, even though I wish we'd gotten a little more. Also - don't have much experience with Wolverine, but them together was kind of fucking awesome. This whole thing was kind of awesome. Seriously - read Ms Marvel (and Sex Criminals) and be a happier person.

Everybody Sees the Ants by A.S. King (5/5)
I read two of her books in, well, less then 12 hours actually, I think. I couldn't say which I enjoyed more, but I really enjoyed that the magical realism was more in this book. More present and there and really interesting.

The Angel by Tiffany Reisz (5/5)
Some accidental rereading occurred here. (Seriously, though, I highly recommend this series, but definitely not for the faint of heart).

I'm just going to add this because it's a fun fact - well, a book nerd fun fact - considering all the things I read (IT being so long, Dewey's) I thought I'd see how much I'd read the whole week. So I read 3,263 pages this week! Insane, right? Whew.

Stuff:
Letter to a Young Reader - maybe some things some of you need to hear. It never hurts to hear some things.

Eisner Award Nominations! I've never really payed any attention to this, and will probably only give it a curious look when the winners are announced, but still cool. (Comic awards)

On the blog:

No comments:

Post a Comment