Monday, April 6, 2015

April 6th | Weekly Wrap Up #14

It was a surprisingly good week for me! It was full of comics, just full of them. Also playing some of the Sims new expansion pack, which was how I started The Picture of Dorian Gray and then picking up listening to Welcome to Night Vale (I remembered how much I loved it, I forgot that it was for a very good reason) and also the Book Riot Podcast.

And, concerning comics, I've been considering doing... something? I might do a post about my pull list or something. I get two deliveries a month of comics from my pull list from Midtown Comics (sometimes I change it, depending on what is happening and such, but every two weeks seems to be the norm for me). If you've got any thoughts/ideas I'd love to hear it - pull list, hauls? Opinions would be nice because I'm just so up in the air about it. (I also want to do some recommendations - comics, graphic novels related, but also other related).

Anyway - now that I've gone off about comics a little. There's one more thing I want to mention before we get into the books. I picked up a free month of Scribd - subscription service to read books, comics, and listen to audiobooks - and so I kind of felt like that's what dragged me back into reading (after I spent way too long just scrolling through what they have to offer. So many things I want to read!).

Reading: (finished this week and actively currently-reading)
The Woods, Volume 1: The Arrow by James Tynion lV, Michael Dialynas (3/5)
I liked the art, the characters were okay. And I'm interested in a few things, intrigued. However - I also just didn't really care? And I was glad I didn't buy it, and probably won't be continuing on. Unless I can get it for free, as well. (Read it on Scribd)

East of West #18 by Jonathan Hickman, Nick Dragotta (5/5)
I really am loving this series. I'm not overly sure what it is, but good god - loving it. Obviously, I'm not going to say anything specific about this issue because it's #18, but futuristic western apocalyptic kind of thing.

Wayward #6 Jim Zub, Steve Cummings (5/5)
Wayward is back! And it's the start of a new story arc! There was a new character introductions of hints of what's to come. And I've raved about this (and East of West) probably too much, but I'm also probably going to keep doing it. Once again, the essay on Japanese culture was super interesting and added to the story. Highly recommend this series - volume one is out (#1-5 collected)!

All New Hawkeye #1 Jeff Lemire, Ramón Pérez (5/5)
Hawkeye! More Hawkeye! I am a fan of the Hawkeye... Hawkeyes. I'm really looking forward to where this is going because of... well Hawkeye.

Descender #1 by Jeff Lemire, Dustin Nguyen (5/5)
I'm really looking forward to more of this. I enjoyed this one, but the world promises some really cool things. Also the cover of this is just freaking gorgeous.

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (5/5)
For some reason, I really did not expect to enjoy this book as much as I did? Over the years, I've tried to start it a few times and it's, apparently, just never been the right time. This time I started with audio, but switched the physical pretty quickly (which seems to be a good way for me to get into classics). Anyway - I loved this, really enjoyed it.

The Wicked and the Divine #7,#8,#9 by Kiernon Gillen, Jamie McKelvie (5/5)
I fell a bit behind, obviously, with all comics not just these. And as you can tell I'm trying to catch up some. This series - I still don't know what it is, why I love it so much, but I just do. I know it's not for everyone, but the characters are so interesting and everything is gorgeous. I am terrified and excited to see how this arc closes.

Spider-Gwen #1,#2,#3 by Jason Latour, Robbi Rodriguez (3/5)
I'm not crazy about this series. I didn't read the Edge of the Spider-Verse event that happened (and now it's like impossible to get your hands on those comics). It's not like it's hard to figure out what happened related to her. Either way, I'm just... kind of eh, nothings really happened yet, I'll keep it on my pull list for now.

I also made a very small amount of progress on The Southern Reach trilogy and Stiff. I'm going to try and make more progress on both this coming week and read more comics, because yes I still have way more to read after that binge reading two days.

Stuff That I Found Interesting/Fun:
Jen and Sanne Recommend Apocalyptic Fiction! - two of my favorite people that make book videos, talking 'bout some books. Apocalyptic in nature. It was hard to watch this video and not buy all the things, though, fair warning.

5 Books to Watch for in April - I love these videos from BookRiot, they normally include all books I've never heard of before. Which can be a good and bad thing.

Related to the Sims 4, there's someone I watch who does Sim videos and she just started a new series for Get to Work (the new expansion pack) so if you you're interesting in let's play type of things.

I mentioned it last week, but I'm mentioning it again because I stumbled across it looking through things - Spore.

On the blog:


No comments:

Post a Comment