Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Book Review: The Merciless

Title: The Merciless
Author: Danielle Vega
Genre: Horror, Thriller
Rating: 4/5
Page Count: 279 pages (hardcover)
Publication Date: June 12th, 2014

Plot (goodreads):
Forgive us, Father, for we have sinned

Brooklyn Stevens sits in a pool of her own blood, tied up and gagged. No one outside of these dank basement walls knows she’s here. No one can hear her scream.

Sofia Flores knows she shouldn’t have gotten involved. When she befriended Riley, Grace, and Alexis on her first day at school, she admired them, with their perfect hair and their good-girl ways. They said they wanted to save Brooklyn. They wanted to help her. Sofia didn’t realize they believed Brooklyn was possessed.

Now, Riley and the girls are performing an exorcism on Brooklyn—but their idea of an exorcism is closer to torture than salvation. All Sofia wants is to get out of this house. But there is no way out. Sofia can’t go against the other girls . . . unless she wants to be next. . . .

In this chilling debut, Danielle Vega delivers blood-curdling suspense and terror on every page. By the shockingly twisted end, readers will be faced with the most haunting question of all: Is there evil in all of us?

Review:
The first thing I need to mention about this book - is it's fantastic design. I'm not the biggest pink fan, but as soon as I saw the whole thing, I knew I needed it, because it's just so... ridiculous, I guess? Not in a bad way, because I love it, but it's bright, florescent pink and you have to, at least, pick it up and check out the design when you see it in the store.

Besides that, though, I really enjoyed this book. I know some people didn't care much for it and I was a little iffy through about 3/4ths of it - it as interesting and strange, but it wasn't anything special. But I ended up loving it for the ending, the implications of the ending. Not everyone will, I know, it's probably just my weird, twisted brain - but I adored this.

This books gets a little gross at points, not extremely gore-y or anything, but there is some torture involved. I like horror books and, overall, this felt a little less then it could of been, but it was overall just a ton of fun. Yes, fun, you read that right, that's the word that keeps coming to mind with this book - fun.

A great read for a stormy night, curled up in bed. It's a fast read, too, pretty short and as soon as it picks up, it doesn't stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment