Thursday, November 27, 2014

2014: Book Reviews (12)

I haven't done one of these since September and am now hopelessly behind. Well, not hopelessly, I hope to get most of the remaining up before the end of the year (maybe just not the last one or two, depending on how much I'm reading in December, which I'm hoping will be a lot).

I left off, in part eleven, on This is What Happy Looks Like - which I read in June, so I was behind them. So let's get right into it, then.

Never Stop Shutting Up by Mike Falzone (5/5)
Mike Falzone is a musician and YouTuber (a comedic one), and he's hilarious and a lot of things he says make you go "wow, he has a point there." I had a lot of fun reading this book, it made my six+ hour flight back from LA significantly less painful.

Take a Bow by Elizabeth Eulberg (3/5)
Cute, interesting, fun. A bit too much of the stereotypical drama and the writing was lacking a little - but it was still fun to read.

Girl with Guitar (Kylie Ryans #1) by Caisey Quinn (3/5)
I think I'm remembering correctly - this was one of those romance books that I read in one sitting when I couldn't sleep at 4/5am (I read a lot of romance books at this time, I don't know why, they're just so easy to read), and this one was short. And surprisingly fun, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it unless you want something that's like 200 pages and doesn't really have too much depth (any depth, from what I remember).

Losing It (Losing It #1) by Cora Carmack (3/5)
Okay, cute. But also a ton of second hand embarassement and why are you doing that. Also pretty sure I read this in the same situation - early morning, couldn't get back to sleep, this book is 200 pages. Eh.

Hyperbole and a Half  by Allie Bosh (5/5)
This book is freaking fantastic. You just need to read it - it's amazing and so good.

In the Shadows by Kiersten White, and Jim Di Bartolo (5/5)
I was surprised by this book, I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't this and I was very pleasantly surprised. And i really loved it, I've heard some mixed things, but I don't know if it was right book, right time - but I really enjoyed it, it was fun, the fantasy elements were fun and the illustrations were gorgeous.

I Think I am in Friend Love With You by Yumi Sakugawa
This was short and sweet and so freaking cute and good.

Boxers and Saints (Boxers and Saints #1 &#2) by Gene Luen Yang (5/5)
These are both fantastic and amazing. I've found I love this authors books, I love the magical realism elements. I'd definitely suggest giving this a try (and possibly crying, they're not happy, feel good books).

The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider (5/5)
I don't know why it took me so long to read this. I knew I was going to love it, I was just putting it off (I have an arc of this book, it's embarrassing). Anyway - I loved this book, so much. Highly recommended. And, also I will always think of it as Severed Heads, Broken Hearts.

Scepter of the Ancients (Skulduggery Pleasant #1) by Derek Landy (5/5)
I really, really enjoyed this book. It was fun and a little ridiculous and I loved it. That's it - go read it, there's a skeleton detective and a kick-ass girl.

And I think that's all I'm going to do for this one - have you read any of these books? Did you enjoy them? Do you want to read them / have them on your TBR?

No comments:

Post a Comment