Wednesday, November 19, 2014

WWW Wednesday (20)

It hasn't been too long since I've last done one of these, but I thought it was about time to bring it back around because I do enjoy them quite a bit. Mostly because I just get to talk about my recently read / currently reading books and I like talking about that. (Also hearing about what other people are reading, I really love that, it's so interesting).

First off - I want to apologize just straight off because I'm writing this (starting writing it, at least), pretty late at night and I'm tired. And writing had sapped all of my energy and brain power, as I stated in an earlier post. And I'm sorry for any spelling, grammar, general errors, because I'm not sure what could happen but I'm sure I won't notice if it does. But, hey, BOOKS! (if you did one of these, link me to it, I will read over it during one of my view breaks where I can see the internet, hopefully).

Also, last note I promise, I'm going to just be talking about everything I've read since the month began because it's a surprisingly small amount of things. Well - not surprising, but it's sad.

WWW Wednesday is a meme hosted by MizB at Should be Reading. She asks that you answer three questions:

  • What are you currently reading?
  • What did you recently finish reading?
  • What do you think you'll read next?

Currently-reading:
As usual, I'm always currently reading way too many books, but I'm not really actively reading anything at the moment because NaNoWriMo. I did read about 30 pages of Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?, which I'm liking so far.

Read:
The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle #1) by Maggie Stiefvater (5/5)
I was little unsure before starting this one. Mostly just because even though I was hearing amazing things about this series, I was hearing not so amazing things about her other series and that had me a little worried. I shouldn't of been, I should of just listening. This book was phenomenal. I think it was a case of perfect time for this book, but I love that so much and I loved this book so much. I'm currently putting off the third one because I don't want to be out of new stuff, the next book is at least a year away.

Click-Clack the Rattle Bag by Neil Gaiman
I got this for free from Audible because of the Halloween (All Hallows Read) promotion thing. And I wasn't sure when I was going to listen to it, but it's just twelve minutes and I had a migraine and couldn't so anything else. And I enjoyed it a surprising amount for it being so short, it was honestly a little creepy.

Hawkeye, Vol 3: LA Women and single issues: #13, #17, #15, #19 by Matt Fraction, David Aja
The way the volumes were split was to put the bulk of Kate's comics, her story, into a volume and then Clint's, and the end of the series, will be volume four. I'm sad to see this series end, I love it to bits and pieces. I will follow Matt Fraction wherever he goes, and probably David Aja, too, because the art is just gorgeous.

The Wicked and the Divine #3 by Kieron Gillen, Jamie McKelvie
Oh man, this series is awesome. I'm trying to take it slow, bide my time until the next volume comes out. But it's so good. I don't know why I was so sold on this so quickly, but I'm sure it had something to do with - my obsession with gods/such on earth, the gorgeous art and coloring, and the almost instant intrigue of what the hell is going on I love it.

The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle #2) by Maggie Stiefvater
So much chatacter development and it didn't feel rush. I love the pacing. I'm just in love with this series - I just fell head over heels and I'm not sure it can do any wrong. And it's been a while since I've just kind of let go like that for a series (though Sanderson can't seem to do any wrong). But this world is magical and her writing is beautiful. And these characters. I'm not sure I could pick a favor, but I'm obsessed and I'll be sad to say goodbye to them. Maybe I'll read book three first thing December so I can put my full focus on it.

White Cat, Red Glove, Black Heart (Curse Workers 1-3) by Holly Black
White Cat was a reread for me, but the rest were new and I'm glad I reread it because I did not remember enough to go back and read it, but I really enjoyed all three of these books. They were exactly what I wanted them to be, pretty much, and I'm really glad I read them when I did. I'm very much a mood reader, if you didn't know, and I was just in the mood for con men being kick- ass and bad and that's what I got it was marvelous.

Chew, Volume 3: Just Desserts by John Layman, Rob Guillory
I'm really enjoying this serious - it's ridiculous and I love the art style. It does have gore, so I wouldn't recommend it if you don't like that, but the characters are a lot of fun. And this volume ended on a strange note that makes me want volume 4 immediately.

To-Read:
I have a lot of books I'd like to read very soon. Blue Lily, Lily Blue - which I'm putting off because the final book is a year away and I think this one is probably going to hurt in some way.
Ancillary Justice - I've had this book since it came out, it was a pick for the Sword and Laser bookclub one month, and I didn't get to it then. And then it won every award ever. And the sequel just came out.
There's more, of course, but I'll leave it at that for now, because this is suppose to be just immediately and I have no idea when I'm going to read either of those books, or be able to read again, for that matter.

2 comments:

  1. I understand what you mean about hearing too many positive things. I also fall victim to hype, the book never lives up to my expectations when I finally do read it

    I'm happy that The Raven Boys proved itself worth the hype! :)

    Amber Elise @ Du Livre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been learning to know which books I'm just not going to like, if I just wait and read/watch some reviews, I'll know if I'll like it or not. If not, I definitely won't buy it, but sometimes if I can get it through Overdrive (digital library) I'll at least try it. But I'm normally right.

      I was surprisingly pleased when The Raven Boys did, and book two is even better. Now book three stares at me as I try to write...

      Delete