Monday, April 9, 2012

Book Review: Changeless

Book: Changeless (Parasol Protectorate #2)
Author: Gail Carriger
Genre: Romance (Paranormal Romance, Alternate History, Steampunk)
Rating: 5/5
Page count: 388
Favorite character: Besides Alexia and Lord Maccon, I adore Professor Lyall because, as Beta, he puts up with a lot of stuff and I love that he's almost always completely calm, at least, on the outside.

Plot: (From Goodreads)

Alexia Tarabotti, the Lady Woolsey, awakens in the wee hours of the mid-afternoon to find her husband, who should be decently asleep like any normal werewolf, yelling at the top of his lungs. Then he disappears - leaving her to deal with a regiment of supernatural soldiers encamped on her doorstep, a plethora of exorcised ghosts, and an angry Queen Victoria.

But Alexia is armed with her trusty parasol, the latest fashions, and an arsenal of biting civility. Even when her investigations take her to Scotland, the backwater of ugly waistcoats, she is prepared: upending werewolf pack dynamics as only the soulless can.

She might even find time to track down her wayward husband, if she feels like it.


Review:

Let me just say if you haven't read the first book in the Parasol Protectorate series you should go do that, now. Also, there will be spoilers for that book here so you might not want to look. On with the review, then, I love these characters. Gail Carriger writes some amazing characters, even the ones I didn't really want to like or found annoying, I still loved. The pack mentality is fun to read about, especially in this kind of society. And all of the characters are diverse and believable and interesting.

It was fun to read about Scotland and how all of that was handled. Miss Hisselpenny, Ivy, probably gets one of the best lines. While in Scotland, where men wear kilts, she says this: "Alexia," she hissed to her friend, "there are knees positively everywhere!  What do I do?" I was laughing so hard as I read that, poor thing, too many knees for her.

However, I suggest having the third book close on hand, because this one ends with you wants to throttle some characters. I did yell at my book when I finished it. I'm really glad, though, in a round-a-bout way that it ended like that. That there wasn't an instant fix or whatever, even if it was kind of painful to read. No spoilers, I promise, just go read it and enjoy.

I want to add that I'd really love a Parasol like Alexia's, it's sound so pretty and deadly. I love all of the clothes in these books, though, that might just be my obsession with the time, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment