Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Book Review: The Lost Years

Book: The Lost Years (Merlin #1)
Author: T.A. Barron
Genre: Fantasy, Adventure (Middle-Grade)
Rating: 4/5
Page Count: 252 (Paperback)
Favorite Character: Emrys. (I like that name so very much, even if he doesn't feel like it's right).

Plot: (From Goodreads)
Barron's series is now repackaged in these stunning paperback editions. Book 1 was originally published as "The Lost Years of Merlin." T.A. Barron transforms the early years of the mythical wizard's life into a vivid, action-filled fantasy, replete with deep forests, ruined castles, and evil spells. . .--"Kirkus Reviews."
(All of the summaries I found were just not good. 'There are adventures and magic, read it.' Seems to be mainly what everything said, and I can't really argue with that).

Review:
I enjoyed this book, I love the legend/myth of King Arthur and his knights and Merlin, obviously. It's just so different to read about a young Merlin, a Merlin who isn't even Merlin yet, still Emrys. This isn't a perfect book, but it was good. I enjoyed it much more then I thought I would at first and I liked hearing about a younger Merlin.

The writing was good, I wasn't anything profound, but this is still a book that targets children 8-12 I think. Don't pick it up just because the writing isn't poetic and advanced, the way some things are described is amazing.

And the characterization of a young Merlin, Emrys, and people he would of met on his journey was something I enjoyed a lot. And it shows the flaws and the bravery that happened in those early years. So if you're curious on T.A. Barron's take on the early years of Merlin, then you should pick this up.

No comments:

Post a Comment