Tuesday, April 22, 2014

2014: Book Reviews (6)

I've read so many more books this year so far, it's completely ridiculous to me because I use to struggle to my goal of fifty or a hundred, now I've already blown past 50 books for the year. Anyway, onto the mini-book reviews, I think.

Young Avengers, Vol. 1: Style > Substance by Kieron Gillen (5/5)
I really enjoyed this, I really enjoy these compiled comic books, which is a whole different rant. Also, if you're looking to get into comics and have no idea where to start: Marvel Now, and I'd kind of like to do a post all about comic books / graphic novels / manga (but this will probably take months to do, so it definitely won't be up anytime soon).

Saga, Vol. 1 - 3 by Brian K. Vaughan (5/5)
So good, I'm just including all three volumes together. I didn't know what to expect going in, but it was so good, such a great beginning. I loved the characters, the art is gorgeous through all three volumes, and I love the way the stories told. Definitely recommending this whole series. It's definitely got mature content, though. I gave all three 5/5 stars, and I wish I could of given them more almost.

Princesses Behaving Badly: Real Stories From History Without the Fairy-Tale Ending by Linda Rodriguez McRobbie (5/5)
I wrote up a full review of this book here, but in short - oh man, so amazing, historical princesses that were real and the book was so well written. Also - even if it might not sound like exactly your cup of tea, if you run across it in a store, read the introduction, it made me smile, at least. (Feminism, princesses - what's not to like?)

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (5/5)
I read this book in the UK two part edition, but I'm just going to mention it here as one book, because as soon as I finished one, I picked up the other (though I did finish other books between the two, because this is a long book). I want to write a full review of this one, but I think I have to reread it. Bottom line: this book was one of those books that makes you just feel full, it makes you feel good and just like content. Does that make sense to anyone? (Recommended, so highly, all of his books actually).

Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy #3) by Richelle Meade (4/5)
I just keep reading these books, I mean I have the box set so I might as well just read them. And I did give this one a star higher then the first two, and I did enjoy it, but I also just don't know if I really care about these characters or where I can see the plot going. I'll probably end up picking up the next one at some point, probably, definitely no rush.

Bite Me (London Undead #1) by P.J. Schnyder (3/5)
I don't actually remember why I picked this up, it was really cheep, kindle, and someone I follow on Goodreads was talking about the newest one. It might of been two people. Anyway - it was fun and action-y. Werewolves, zombies, - just some light fun, enjoyed it though.


No comments:

Post a Comment