Wednesday, April 16, 2014

WWW Wednesday (16)

So. It's been a long time since I've done one of these, way too long. And I really enjoy doing these, but there have been way too many books I've read since I did this. Actually, the last time I did this meme was last year, in May, so it's almost been a full year.

I'm just going to mention some of the few books I've just finished and not go further then that.

And here we go!

WWW Wednesday is a meme hosted by MizB at Should be Reading. She asks that you answer three questions:

  • What are you currently reading?
  • What did you recently finish reading?
  • What do you think you'll read next?


Currently-Reading:
I'm currently-reading six books according to Goodreads, which isn't that bad in all honesty, and I just finished a book yesterday (Tuesday). However -

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan
I'm not that far into this one only about 50 pages or so, but I am really enjoying it so far, and I'm intrigued. I just kind of accidentally sent myself on a SciFi kick and this one is mysterious and such - but not quite what I'm craving. (Not saying it isn't freaking fantastic, and I do hope to finish it before the month ends, at least).

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
This book. It's psychological and creepy and confusing - and I love it, so much. I started reading this book in February, but I'm enjoying taking it slow, though I would like to just finish it already, I want to know what happened. Also - if you're scared to pick up this book because of the side, or because of the weird formatting - just jump in and go with it. There isn't a right or wrong way to read this book, it's kind of like an adventure in itself and, even not having finished it yet, I can tell it's worth it.

Read:
(In order from most recent, to least recent)

The Martian by Andy Weir (5/5 stars)
So great, loved it. It's hilarious to begin with, and I keep seeing it described as kind of MacGyver in space and I totally stick by that, it's just like that, except a little more... space/SciFi-y. Either way, highly recommended, loved the narrator/main character, and the whole thing.

Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse #1) by James S.A. Corey (5/5)
Epic space opera with a mix of horror and some classic noir, even. I loved this book to just pieces. Maybe it was just exactly what I was crazing, still kind of am, so it just - hit all the right notes with me. There's some humor in this too, of course, and some truly fantastic characters. They're flawed and maybe not lovable o everyone, as I'm sure this book also isn't for everyone, but I did really love it. Plot, writing, characters - whole bundle.

Redshirts by John Scalzi (5/5)
Okay - so I know I said those two up there were good, and they were really good, but I read this before them. And this really hit me off towards some SciFi (and more SciFi with a crew). I read War of the Worlds just before this and went - SciFi, need to read more of that, and this was close at hand. I've been reading to read this book since it came out. I'm not a huge Star Trek fan, but I am a bit of a fan of some other series that have space scenes in later seasons - anyway, even without that, I'm pretty sure I would of loved it. It was just perfect. Highly recommended, check it out and laugh through it.

To-Read:
I always have such a hard time with saying what I'll be reading next, because - I mean I'd kind of like to finish House of Leaves before I start anything else. However, I did get Caliban's War in the mail yesterday (it's book two in the Expanse series, and the full paperback was like $6 on Amazon the day I finished Leviathan Wakes, I couldn't say no), and I'm really itching to pick that one up.

So hopefully I don't do the thing where I write it down and then it doesn't happen, that's always annoying. I listened some random books on my April TBR that I don't think I'll be getting to now, at least not in April. Life stuff happened, which is why there hasn't really been anything up this month and I'm sorry for that, but the life stuff happened hard - and now it's not quite so worry level 100, so I thought I'd try and get back with one of these memes that'll get me writing about books again and that I really enjoying doing (and reading, I love reading about what other people are reading and their thoughts).

And now I'm going to stop rambling, this isn't suppose to be a post to ramble on. So - long story short: Caliban's War, House of Leaves, or maybe something else next, but I'd like to read both this much if possible. At least start Caliban's War this month.

I hope your months are going well, in general and on the reading front, and I'm love to hear what you're currently reading or what you just finished or what you're planning on reading next, leave me a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment