Friday, August 15, 2014

2014: Book Review (9)

And, once again, I haven't done one of these in way too long, especially for the rate at which I've been reading. There have been, what feels like, almost a constant stream of read-a-thons, not that I think I'll ever have no books on my TBR, and I don't think I'd want to - then what would I read next?

Anyway, if you're not sure what this is, this is where I write up mini-reviews of all the books I've read this year in parts, this being part nine.

Dead Man Rising (Dante Valentine #2) by Lilith Saintcrow (4/5 stars)
Liked this one as much as the first, Working for the Devil, it was interesting and fast paced. This whole series is very different, but it's good.

The Devil's Right Hand (Dante Valentine #3) by Lilith Saintcrow (3/5)
Didn't like this one as much as the first two - the beginning felt drawn out, but I did like how it ended, how everything was linked/tied together. I'd still recommend this series if it sounds like someone you'd like. These are books that I don't really have much to say about separately, really just this, but I'm planning on doing a series review when I'm done with all of them.

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (5/5)
This book - I don't know what it was, I know a lot of people find it boring or repetitive, but I really enjoyed it. I loved her writing and the way the story moved, it wasn't a fast paced book by any means, but I really liked that about it.

The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking #2) by Patrick Ness (5/5)
Damn. This series is fantastic and heartbreaking and incredible. I haven't been able to bring myself to read the third and final book in it yet - I just know it's going to leave me broken, but this series is fantastic.

The Purloined Letter by Edgar Allen Poe (3/5)
Just a short story, and it wasn't the best but it was an interesting read all the same.

The Walking Dead: Book Two by Robert Kirkman (3/5)
I had to force myself through this book, I don't know what it was about it. Because its dramatic, full of gore - I should be loving this series, but I'm just not. People get killed and I barely blink, I guess I'm just not invested at all in the story - this might be the last of the comics I read.

Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos (Theodosia Throckmorton #1) by R.L. LaFevers (3/5)
The beginning - I didn't really care, it was slow and wasn't capturing my attention, but by the end I was enjoying it a lot more. I guess I just expected more from this book, for whatever reason, and I just needed to lower my expectations. I think I'll continue on with the series, I just don't know when considering all the books I have to read.

American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang (4/5)
This was - interesting and really good. It wasn't perfect, but I really liked it and would definitely recommend it.

All Our Yesterdays by Caitlin Terrill (3.5/5)
For most of this book, I just wasn't enjoying it. I wasn't connecting with the characters, I didn't really feel anything towards them besides annoyance and confusion. The only reason this rating is so high is because the ending - I loved the ending, it was what I wanted, no punches pulled. However, apparently there's going to be a sequel, so that lowers my love for the ending a bit because I thought it ended perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment